• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loose Dogs

Back in the 70s my uncle had a dairy farm & one year, for no apparent reason, a pack of dogs started running the cows and over a week or two managed to kill a few.
Fulton County PD notified as many neighbors as they deemed necessary & gave my uncle and cousins the okay to shoot any dog on the property. They killed a dozen or so dogs and it was not pretty.

I'm pretty sure the law hasn't changed http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-27/chapter-3/article-1/part-2/27-3-49

But you can't shoot a dog that is wearing a collar and chasing deer. Talk to your neighbor and/or call the game warden. If it is not wearing a collar, then according to the above, you can shoot it. Or if you are defending your property, yourself/another person, livestock, then you can shoot a dog wearing a collar.

I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice so do your own homework. :cool: It would suck to get in trouble because some sorry ass, dindu nuffin dog owner will not take care of their animal(s).

As I sat in stand this past Monday afternoon, I began to get frustrated while listening to several dogs barking in the harwoods to my right. After a bit, the barking stopped and a pile of deer exploded into the field 100 yards to my 12 O'clock. I shot a decent doe and she limped slowly into the woods to my left. Shortly thereafter, i heard the "death roll" start and stop seemingly close to my stand. I gave her 30 minutes and climbed down to go and make the recovery. After 30 minutes of climbing thru kudzu and briars, i still couldnt find my doe??? There wasnt any hair or blood on the ground around the area where I shot her. Being deep in the woods, something moved and caught my attention. I looked up to see 2 dogs sitting further up the ridge closer to the road and my stand. 5 feet away from the dogs was my doe. I thanked the Lord for His blessing, thanked both dogs with a light snack, and recovered my doe.

I have had negative experiences with dogs in the woods while deer hunting in the past, but I'm glad to say this event definitely worked in my favor.

I would attempt to locate the dogs owners if at all possible and request they maintain control of their pets in the future. Best of luck OP in your efforts to rectify this matter. Be safe and good luck on your trip back to the woods.
20161226_155551.jpg

Not sure that I get your point. The analogy isn't even close. Someone busting into your home isn't the same as, a clearly stated "neighbor's dog" not recognizing a property line.

Sorry, a loose dog doesn't equate to being feral.
sorry but it does. its the same thing, a loose dog is feral. also, if a person causes you harm, your ready do go to war. but a loose dog, running deer, killing pets or livestock gets a free pass.
if you love your dog keep up with it, if it runs loose its a urban coyote.
KILL IT!!!

I was out hunting on the 23rd. Took my new Son-In-Law. He was in one stand and he was visited by four of the neighboring landonwner's dogs. Two of them chased off deer. I've seen one of the guy's dogs on my trail cam. I'm gonna download the pics and take them to the neighbor. I'll explain that he almost lost one or more of his dogs.

My regular hunting buddy said he'd have shot them. What say you?

well it seems like your buddy is more hell bent on killing anything that moves, than just hunting. unless the at large dogs are a danger to others, then i'd have just used non-lethal spray on them.

Talk to the owner. Most dog owners will act responsibly once they realize their dog is the source of a problem. If the dog owner is uncooperative and thinks it's his right to let his dog run loose, inform him the game warden is the next communication. Shooting the dog should be a solution of last resort, after a lot of other effort has been made. And be fully aware that the dog's owner will probably try to make trouble for you, right or wrong.

P.S. I've twice had Beagles come onto my property from pretty far off. One was in full chase mode after a doe. The other, on a different day, got cornered by my Weimaraner and hid under my truck. I called the number on her tag. She was more than five miles from where she had been hunting rabbits with her owner. The hunter was incredibly grateful to get the dog back, even offered me some of the rabbits he'd shot. His wife sent a very nice thank you note the next week. The dog was an absolute sweetheart.

Back
Top Bottom