Lower build

If you buy something like the Aero M4E1 lower or a Ballistic Advantage lower (basically the same lowers, different engravings), you will not need to use a punch, hammer, pliers, or any other possibly damaging tool.

The bolt catch pin is threaded and the trigger guard is integrated. Even the takedown pin detent spring and pin hole is threaded for a set screw (not included but is an inexpensive item, 4-40x1/8" socket set screw that uses a .050 hex).

The only other slightly challenging piece remaining is the pivot pin and, to make that super easy, buy one of the Wheeler Pivot Pin tools, about $8 at Academy (https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/wheeler®-engineering-delta-series-ar-pivot-pin-install-tool?gmc_feed=t#repChildCatid=930054) or even cheaper at some online retailers.

I finished a Ballistic Advantage in about 30 minutes while on a conference call today!

Thanks so much Guys. This is exactly why I have been on this site for a number of years. A group of good guys that help each other out. Hope to shake all of your hands one day. Maybe ODT will have another meet & greet some day. Have a great day guys !!!

Quick trick to getting the pivot pin installed. Get a 1/4" carriage bolt at HomeDepot for cheap. Insert bolt backwards (left to right) in pivot pin holes. Drop in spring and detent (in that order) into matching hole and push detent down with punch. Turn everything 1/4 turn to capture detent. PUT everything inside 1 gallon zip lock bag. You will thank me if you launch the detent as it will be in the bag. Take pivot pin and push carriage bolt back thru, making sure to keep it aligned. Once pivot pin is in first loop, you are home free. Just turn it until it clicks to lock detent into channel.

Just watch some videos on youtube and follow along as your building. Its not hard but having the right tools makes a difference and yes that one spring in the front can be a pain in the ass lol.

LOL...Thanks so much. I've heard about those " launched " pivot pins. Supposedly they fly away never to be seen again.
That's the reason one parts kit I got had 3 detents. Cheaper than listening to people say they only got 1 after launching it. Another tip is to work on an anti-fatigue mat as springs and parts don't bounce on it.

Don't laugh, but when I built my first one, I launched the spring and detent twice. Then I went to my closet and got a clear dry cleaner bag and built it while it was inside the bag. Didn't loose any parts!
I find a utility knife blade handy while assembling the end plate/castle nut arrangement. I've bent several of those springs over the years.

If you need any help I'm on the southside near Largo Dr.
PM me and I'll be glad to help you get it together.
Also have extra pins and springs in the drawer.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom