• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lowers

So, are all frankenguns (built with parts from different mfgs) considered junk?
Not to me. Parts selection, quality, assembly methods, quality control, etc - all count for something.

What's unusual in this case is that a so-called "manufacturer" is blatantly selling a frankengun for an obscene price.

Where's my 'Credible Hulk' meme when I need it?
S9x1dRTNht-2.png

So, are all frankenguns (built with parts from different mfgs) considered junk?
I know that Rufus already responded but I want to chime in as well. I hear this a lot. And from some people, it's completely justifiable...but the reality is that such a universal statement can never be true...and if we're honest, it's not that it's a "frankengun" that turns most people off, it's that it isn't factory-assembled.

Having said that, I've seen OEM rifles from resputable companies crap the bed on the first magazine. I have an Anderson SBR'd lower that I assembled myself on my workshop bench. It runs flawlessly and over the course of its life across three different calibers, it has yet to malfunction once. No pin drift, no mag issues, no nothing. But I had a billet C3 lower a few years ago that the magwell was so out of spec, I had to file it to get the mags to seat and release.

I think the truth of the situation is that any thing, at any time, can fail. Your best chance to mitigate that failure is to employ quality parts, installed by intelligent people; frankengun or otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom