Mailing guns

Looks legal, but have fun trying to convince the driod at the post office desk of that... I'd bring a copy of the official verbiage with me.

I had quite a heated discussion recently with the local USPS counter person when I was shipping a shotgun to a guy in Augusta, GA...even after showing him a printout of the USPS regs I had found online.
He finally accepted my package but said he'd be sending the Postal Authorities to my home. That never happened...

You say it's illegal for a non FFL to ship a handgun in the US mail, what about FedEx and ups?

They will both do it, but they require that a handgun ship via next day so it's pricey... $50 or more.

When my XDs was recalled, Springfield had me ship it back via 2-day FedEx, but that was on their dime using their specially printed packing label. I guess they were able to negotiate something with FedEx so they didn't have to do everything Next Day.

With private carriers it's whatever rules they want, so long as they aren't violating any laws.

Why would you declare the item involved in a package sent inside of the US.? I've never been asked except for overseas, custom required shipments. for UPS and FedX

Why would you declare the item involved in a package sent inside of the US.? I've never been asked except for overseas, custom required shipments. for UPS and FedX
You have to declare the contents for insurance purposes with Fed Ex and UPS.

One of the advantages of shipping a gun that is eligible via USPS is that you don't have to declare the contents for insurance. Can't even have markings on the package identifying it as a gun.

On the main question you can absolutely mail a long gun to yourself, and a lot of competitive shotgunners do this. Registered mail is expensive, but it absolutely the safest way to ship anything of value. You don't even have to have an address on the receiving end -- you can ship it "c/o ABC Hunting Lodge" or ship it to yourself . "General Delivery."

O.K., here's the key to shipping a gun via USPS. Every post office in the United States, from the single wide in East Jesus, Georgia, to the main office in Atlanta. has a hard copy of the "Domestic Mail Manual" colloquially known as the "DMM (catchy name there)." The DMM is The Bible of the post office. If the clerk gives you a hard time, ask him for the supervisor, and ask him to look it up in the DMM. THE CLERK HAS TO DO THIS. He may not be happy about it, but he HAS TO DO I. You can only get pushed around if you let yourself get pushed around. Here is the reference , which will be in the local copy of the DMM. http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm

You have to declare the contents for insurance purposes with Fed Ex and UPS.

One of the advantages of shipping a gun that is eligible via USPS is that you don't have to declare the contents for insurance. Can't even have markings on the package identifying it as a gun.

On the main question you can absolutely mail a long gun to yourself, and a lot of competitive shotgunners do this. Registered mail is expensive, but it absolutely the safest way to ship anything of value. You don't even have to have an address on the receiving end -- you can ship it "c/o ABC Hunting Lodge" or ship it to yourself . "General Delivery."

O.K., here's the key to shipping a gun via USPS. Every post office in the United States, from the single wide in East Jesus, Georgia, to the main office in Atlanta. has a hard copy of the "Domestic Mail Manual" colloquially known as the "DMM (catchy name there)." The DMM is The Bible of the post office. If the clerk gives you a hard time, ask him for the supervisor, and ask him to look it up in the DMM. THE CLERK HAS TO DO THIS. He may not be happy about it, but he HAS TO DO I. You can only get pushed around if you let yourself get pushed around. Here is the reference , which will be in the local copy of the DMM. http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm

So no handguns via usps?

[QUOTE="gh1950, post: 5397669, member: 6287"

One sort of exception is BR pistols, the USPS does not consider BP to be "firearms."[/QUOTE]
What does this mean?

Back
Top Bottom