• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Maybe it wasn't a bad idea to lend my crossbow to a friend.......

darrenmd

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
So not to bore you all with a 10000 word paragraph....I will shorten this a little......

A friend was worried about a possum that wouldn't leave his back yard. It would hiss at his family and he feared it would attack. He tried trapping it without any good results.... so he asked to borrow my crossbow. Apparently he never shot the possum, it went away on its own...but he and his daughter had fun shooting my crossbow at a target. Needless to say I got it back. I asked him if he messed with the sight and he said he didn't. I stored it until opening season. I prepared all my hunting stuff in advance.... but I didn't double check my crossbow scope this season.... I am not sure why it didn't cross my mind... Anyways... out to the stand on the morning of opening day.... I grabbed the crossbow and verified the light on the red dot came on......then headed out..... Day light began to come up, so I prepared my crossbow for the fun.... put my arrow in.... turn the red dot on.... took a practice aim and all I heard was clump... My scope slid down.... the screws got loose.... Well... I wasn't going to blow a beautiful morning..... I put the scope where I thought it should of been and waited.... I seen 12 deer that morning.... never took a shot... When I got back to camp... I sighted in the crossbow.... Wow...was it off.... I lost an arrow and bent another re-sighting it in..... That was all the practice tips I had.... so it remained that I was going to be using Kentucky wind-age until I sight it better.... at about 50 ft, I was low and to the left...... So, being the highly motivated individual that I am.... I had to keep that in mind this morning.... lol!... So I get to the stand today nice and early.... and about 7:15am I see these small does just frolicking around the wood line...running in the open field... running in the woods....Then I see two nice does.... long story short, as I am watching the nice does, the small two work their way to about 50 yards from me and lie down... then the other two does find their way over and lie down close to the two small does. Over the next two hours, I watch one get up stretch its legs...walk around...come back and another one do the same.... I am not really into breaking up a family like this.... but as I indicated 2 hours with me not moving.... I started getting a little antsy.... Next thing I know one of the nice does pops up and starts walking towards me.....right then... I am not sure what happened, but my arss slipped down the padded seat I was on.... that doe stopped dead in her tracks...and just stared at me...... I froze..... she would not take her eyes off of me.... but she didn't flip her tail up or scream.... the others watched her..... but they did not seemed alarmed... after about a 30 minute stand off..... she wasn't moving her body, but was moving her head..... I started running through everything in my head.... I need to take a deep breath, flip the safety off, aim ( keeping in mind I am going to need to shot high and to the right) and pull the trigger all in one smooth motion ..... as soon as she dips her head again..... shuuuuuuuuuuu the arrow flew..... I seen her kick up and drop about ten feet back... then pick herself up and fall again.... Hot dang it worked...... I looked for the others.... they took off..... I went to get the truck and locate her. I pulled the truck in and found the blood trail.... she fell only about 10 yards from where I hit her.... I'm looking at her.... hey where's my arrow??????.... blood all over her front..... hole in her the width of my thumb....good the arrow opened..... where is my arrow????.... so I back tracked the blood trail... found my arrow stuck in the base of a tree... It literally went through her and cut her throat..... I couldn't of made that shot again if I wanted to..... sausage time (don't take this the wrong way).......

Last edited:
Sorry no pictures... she was only about 80-85lbs... nothing to brag about.....so I didn't think to take a picture.....

I agree with the sighting in better.....

Reading it back now... I guess it does sound bad "sausage time"..... LOL!

Back
Top Bottom