• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Meat Thermometers anyone had better luck

Just got home from a whole hog cookin' in Crawford. Was very excited about a two probe remote thermo to start with. Not sure of brand, but by the end of the day we decided we didn't love it so much (it came from Sam's club).

I have tried many over the years. My Thermoworks is still around but can only get 2 cooks out of a probe and out of them. Tried many $19.95 with same results. Never in dishwasher hand washed and put on hat rack on the back of the door. At first carefully rolled and put in case. Have had the same problem with the Traeger probes. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone make a great one that last? BTW my Thermoworks instant read has been spot on for a couple years.
Biggest issue I've had in the past is getting the braided probe wires wet while washing. Now I don't ever wash anything but the metal tip. If water gets down into the braid portion of the probe, it's generally ruined. I have been able to rejuvenate 1 of my probes by placing the entire probe and wire in a toaster oven (leave plug portion hanging out to prevent melting) and heating for an hour at 200°, but 3 others never recovered.

Also, I've had better luck with some of the better thermometers that cost more than $19.95. Although I did have a $12 cheapie that lasted 8 years until I left it out in the rain.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Just spoke with Thermoworks and they are sending a new probe since they are not lasting. If this one goes bad he mentioned sending the unit back as they have always been helpful. No water on the cable and wipe with damp cloth was the advice.

Going to look at the meater though thanks for the advice.

Just spoke with Thermoworks and they are sending a new probe since they are not lasting. If this one goes bad he mentioned sending the unit back as they have always been helpful. No water on the cable and wipe with damp cloth was the advice.

Going to look at the meater though thanks for the advice.
I have a near mint...hardly used "mercury" type thermometer for cooking meats.
My mom picked it up for me (from a friend) when I got into the green egg thing
and it looked like it was made in the 50's. Spot on accuracy

Let me know if you're interested. Box and everything.

Anyone interested in seeing a pic, let me know. I would share it here if the OP is okay with it. I dont want to hijack his thread

My son got me a Meater for Christmas. Here is a screenshot of the app. I would like for it to have a longer range, but it works well.
Screenshot_20220123-190135.jpg

Back
Top Bottom