• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Med supplies

So you reassess vitals once they get into the ER? You're supposed to do that aren't you? To make sure your patient isn't circling the drain right?

I'm not suggesting anything outlandish for treatment or care, so the basic stuff I do on a truck, I can do in person. Basic trauma. I've not suggested anything invasive

You can relay that information to the next level of care.

If you can't treat it, you can relay that to someone who can. Just because you review the patients vitals and reassess doesn't mean everyone does. By your statement, all you see ambulances as are taxis. If that's what your experience is, I'm sorry, but the trucks do good work. Pre hospital care works man.

You don’t get it... please don’t confuse what you do on an ambulance, and advice you give in a bug out, edc situation.. If you start taking vitals when you can’t treat a patient you are wasting valuable time triaging and not focusing on potential life threatening injuries...

You can’t keep going in between you EMT responsibilities on a truck vs an individual rolling up on an MVA..

I don’t want the other guys here thinking for edc in your car you should have a P.O., BP cuff and stethoscope...

It’s like checking the air pressure on your truck tires that just dropped a transmission....

1st, they are great for bullet holes, short term
2nd, I have 3 women in my house. Long term
Other thing is, we moved to my bug out location. I have 20acres, goats, a large creek and a well. If something happened, most of my close friends and family would come here.
Very nice, got a range setup?

Because when you guys bring anyone into the ER we really don’t take your word on anything. My team is assessing Breath sounds, BP, running large bore IV’s.. Pushing fluids..

Immediately looking for trauma and assessing damage, be it Thoracic, Abdominal or any extremities.

So what you do on an ambulance and what you do in person should be 2 different things....

Lastly if you have a stethoscope and determine absent breath sounds in the field what do you do next when you aren’t in an ambulance....?

Absolutely nothing.. So what good is it to you? Most likely a pneumothorax. How do you treat that?
A decompression needle. But obviously you need to be trained to use it. Maybe we should make a distinction between everyday folks and those with medical training, as their skills/kits are going to be different.

Most people shouldn't have trouble learning how to use tourniquets, coagulation agents, and chest seals from a trauma type first aid class (or hell at least some quality YouTube videos from a reputable source).

I carry an ankle med kit with 2 TQs, 2 chest seals, rolled gauze, duct tape, Celox gauze, and a decompression needle. I'm a nurse without trauma experience, but everything in my EDC kit minus the decomp needle is entirely within the realm of nonmedical folks with just a little bit of training/education.

A decompression needle. But obviously you need to be trained to use it. Maybe we should make a distinction between everyday folks and those with medical training, as their skills/kits are going to be different.

Most people shouldn't have trouble learning how to use tourniquets, coagulation agents, and chest seals from a trauma type first aid class (or hell at least some quality YouTube videos from a reputable source).

I carry an ankle med kit with 2 TQs, 2 chest seals, rolled gauze, duct tape, Celox gauze, and a decompression needle. I'm a nurse without trauma experience, but everything in my EDC kit minus the decomp needle is entirely within the realm of nonmedical folks with just a little bit of training/education.

But yet I noticed you conveniently left out Pulse Oximeter, BP Cuff, and stethoscope... as the Initial post by another Allied Health professional... Why? How would you determine a pneumothorax? Without a stethoscope, What are are you decompressing? and where?... I get treating sucking chest wounds..

I will go out on a limb and bet you have never used a decompression needle, let alone placed one chest tube....

Back
Top Bottom