• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Metal detecting finds

My son got a Garrett ace 250 two Christmas’s ago and Santa got me a Minelab vanquish 440 this past Christmas and it’s been tough finding time to go but when we do It’s always good fun. I need to invest in a good pinpointer. My son (9yo) bought a profind 35 with his own money and I’ve got a knockoff Garrett carrot for $30 off Amazon. It’s ok but nowhere near the profind. It’s safe to say were hooked
I've been using the At Pro for years, about to upgrade here soon. For doing what yall are doing it's all y'all would need. I've even done a lot of water detecting and put a bunch of gold in the safe. For dirt detecting you need a Garrett carrot for sure. It make your life much easier and speed the process up by 10. I've recently moved out to Breman and looking for somewhere to hunt near our new house. Welcome to the addiction.

This thread has inspired me to get mine out, I got a Garrett AT Gold and a carrot stick. I havent used it much but did find an old rusty Tennessee tag from 1930 last time used it. I will post if I find anything today.

Am looking to get into it. Any recommendations on a starter metal detector for a cheap amateur?
I myself am a amateur so take my recommendation with a grain of salt. I actually enjoy the Ace 250 by Garrett its great on batteries and is pretty accurate as far as pinpointing your target. My sons 250 has a issue with giving false signals when it is bumped against a sapling or root etc. and that can get annoying but other than that its great. Just like anything in life it will take practice to get better with it, learning its language and flaws and strengths. My Vanquish is a little more powerful with multi frequency IQ meaning its supposed to be able to spot non-ferrous mixed in with ferrous and distinguish between the two, im still trying to figure it out and thats part of the fun in my opinion. All i can say is be patient and practice, dont expect to find great relics at every signal and being where history happened helps alot but wherever people have been their is plenty of targets. I could talk for days about what i like about the hobby but nothing compares to getting out and digging for yourself. Hope this helps some and good luck my friend!

Yessir you are correct. I love history and my son is interested so this seems like a great catalyst for us to hang out and maybe learn something new.
Learning is awesome….especially if it about each other through great conversations while you are digging around. This is a great way to connect with a son, IMO.
Good luck on all your future endeavors! :D

I've been using the At Pro for years, about to upgrade here soon. For doing what yall are doing it's all y'all would need. I've even done a lot of water detecting and put a bunch of gold in the safe. For dirt detecting you need a Garrett carrot for sure. It make your life much easier and speed the process up by 10. I've recently moved out to Breman and looking for somewhere to hunt near our new house. Welcome to the addiction.
Agreed .
The ATP is a great machine , I have one but have not used it yet , (Not for sale ) , many hardcore dirt hunters like the Minelab 600-or 800 , & the New Minelab machines or Duce machines but they are a tad more expensive & have more of a learning curve .

I myself am a amateur so take my recommendation with a grain of salt. I actually enjoy the Ace 250 by Garrett its great on batteries and is pretty accurate as far as pinpointing your target. My sons 250 has a issue with giving false signals when it is bumped against a sapling or root etc. and that can get annoying but other than that its great. Just like anything in life it will take practice to get better with it, learning its language and flaws and strengths. My Vanquish is a little more powerful with multi frequency IQ meaning its supposed to be able to spot non-ferrous mixed in with ferrous and distinguish between the two, im still trying to figure it out and thats part of the fun in my opinion. All i can say is be patient and practice, dont expect to find great relics at every signal and being where history happened helps alot but wherever people have been their is plenty of targets. I could talk for days about what i like about the hobby but nothing compares to getting out and digging for yourself. Hope this helps some and good luck my friend!
Your son's machine is doing what many of mine did esp, the Whites brands & others on occasion , make sure everything is tight and if it is an issue or gets worse send it in , if still under warranty .

I tried to get out yesterday and hunt , I left some business cards around the Kennesaw area but could not find a place to swing + I got a late start .

I may can help you with a BNIB Pin -Pointer , not a Carrot but a regular Garrett Pin -pointer 1 or 2 , I've used a TRX for years but have 3 extras new JIC .

I been sickly since mid 2019 but hunted 2 times a week from 2012 on & off & on since 1998.

I'm now tryin to get at it again now .

Y'all got some cool finds , ill look at them closer in a min .

PM me about the PP , we can figure something out if you like .

The shotgun shell is a Peter 16 gauge, odd find scissors, old square bolt and the piece above the square bolt was used to smelt gold. Not too bad.

Attachments

• 342585EF-7660-40D5-8B16-525641FEE39C.jpeg
    342585EF-7660-40D5-8B16-525641FEE39C.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 32
I've got a White's MXT Pro and a Garrett AT Pro and a Garrett carrot.
I live in Eatonton and do a lot of woods detecting.
I'll have to take a picture of some of my finds over the past few years, several CW bullets, horseshoes, etc.
It's a really fun hobby to me and good exercise to boot.
I made a board with partial holes drilled through to display my old shotgun shell headstamps.

Back
Top Bottom