• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Metal detecting finds

any other essential gear besides a small hand shovel? I have always been interested but never had the want.

I would take a regular spade digging shovel, sometimes you gotta chop through some roots and dig up larger size rocks. Knee pads and a bucket with a lid to put your finds in, use the bucket lid as a plate to sift through or wave the MD over to see if you dug up the target, if not, toss the dirt then put another shove on etc..
If you decide to use headphones, I would get a wireless set, its a pain having a wired set when you want to put the MD down to dig and to havre to put all of it back on when you re scan the target hole.

Late last year I did some research on metal detectors and bought a Garrett AT MAX with the wireless headphones and a Garrett carrot stick. I just started this hobby a few months ago and I am addicted to it! I've watched a ton of videos and learned a lot so far but still have a lot to learn. I have hunted across the street from Centennial High School in Roswell multiple times as I may have missed something the first go around (which I did). I have also hunted Morgan Falls Dam area. Have found roughly 60 coins - all post 1965 , pennies, 2 nickels, 19 quarters and 23 dimes. Have some other mystery metal objects. It's also taught me how much litter is in our soil which is quite alarming. As many of you know that leads to maybe more digs than you want but if trash is found we dispose of it properly and are cleaning the environment.

I have done some research on laws around detecting in Roswell, as an example. City "parks" which are in abundance are legally off limits based on code and one could be warned, charged with trespassing and/or theft. Since all land is either federal, state or private it makes me wonder just where I can go to hunt/detect. Maybe I am over-thinking this? While I know history is of great importance depending on your finds wanted and/or possible abundance of finds, is there value in checking the woods anywhere? I want to detect in areas I haven't explored but am baffled on where to go next and after that dig. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any groups or clubs that detect that I could join?

This is by far the coolest hobby I've ever had because every good signal has the potential to be something neat! Doesn't have to be valuable or historic but that would be nice. Any thoughts, comments or a place to hunt would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mark

Late last year I did some research on metal detectors and bought a Garrett AT MAX with the wireless headphones and a Garrett carrot stick. I just started this hobby a few months ago and I am addicted to it! I've watched a ton of videos and learned a lot so far but still have a lot to learn. I have hunted across the street from Centennial High School in Roswell multiple times as I may have missed something the first go around (which I did). I have also hunted Morgan Falls Dam area. Have found roughly 60 coins - all post 1965 , pennies, 2 nickels, 19 quarters and 23 dimes. Have some other mystery metal objects. It's also taught me how much litter is in our soil which is quite alarming. As many of you know that leads to maybe more digs than you want but if trash is found we dispose of it properly and are cleaning the environment.

I have done some research on laws around detecting in Roswell, as an example. City "parks" which are in abundance are legally off limits based on code and one could be warned, charged with trespassing and/or theft. Since all land is either federal, state or private it makes me wonder just where I can go to hunt/detect. Maybe I am over-thinking this? While I know history is of great importance depending on your finds wanted and/or possible abundance of finds, is there value in checking the woods anywhere? I want to detect in areas I haven't explored but am baffled on where to go next and after that dig. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any groups or clubs that detect that I could join?

This is by far the coolest hobby I've ever had because every good signal has the potential to be something neat! Doesn't have to be valuable or historic but that would be nice. Any thoughts, comments or a place to hunt would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mark
Thats Awesome!!! I agree completely with it being a great hobby. I also struggled with finding places so i posted a simple request here on ODT and had many great people offer their property and time so my son and i could come beep around. Unfortunately Ive been experiencing personal struggles and haven't had much time to detect in several months and the weather going from comfortable to HOT puts a damper on the hobby for me. Either way ive met some really great people and acquired some beautiful permissions just by asking here publicly. You could give that a try or search online for a detectorist group in your area to join. As you have already stated, finding places to LEGALLY detect can be tricky and i applaud you for noticing the distinction. Too many good honest people in this hobby get denied permission because of the bad reputation a few have given us. I always offer the land owner full claim to any finds and work around their schedule and make darn sure we fill the holes in well and try our best to make it look like we've never been there. Good luck and happy hunting.
Brent

Back
Top Bottom