Mil Spec vs Commercial

republican

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
I have never owned an AR before and just read post with a commercial stock for sale. I thought the only difference was in the pins that attach the upper to the lower. I am currently attempting to build the worlds cheapest AR-15 and already have a New Frontier lower. Any information in this arena would be greatly appreciated.

It's the diameter of the buffer tubes that's different. You can tell because the commercial ones are slightly slanted at the back, mil spec are flat. They both fit all receivers.

It's the diameter of the buffer tubes that's different. You can tell because the commercial ones are slightly slanted at the back, mil spec are flat. They both fit all receivers.

This is not 100% always the case, I've seen commercials with the back flat, my RRA for example.

Why are there 2 types? Is there am advantage to commercial over mil-spec or is it just a cost thing?

Commercial tubes are generally made of cheaper aluminum and manufactured differently: mil-spec tubes are supposed to be inherently stronger due to being made with higher grade aluminum and a different threading process.

Just cheaper to produce the commercial tubes. Matter of production cost only! Milspec are said to be stronger but I don't think you would ever know a difference unless maybe your part of Seal Team Six lol

www.ar15fornoobs.com_wp_content_uploads_Buffertube_Specs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom