• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Minimum OAL with 357 XTP

a__l__a__n

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
After loading and shooting several hundred 38 special rounds, and some soft 357's, I'm now trying to load a full power (not extra hot) 357. I bought 100 Hornady XTP 158 gr bullets and loaded 10 of them. I've seated these bullets right at the cannelure and applied a roll crimp (using Lee dies).

I'm looking for some guidance on the range / tolerance for cartridge length. Before firing these, I want to be sure the volume inside the cases is within proper limits.

The rounds are measuring between 1.570" and 1.575", with a couple a bit less than that. The Hodgdon Basic Reloading Manual specifies a COL of 1.580" for this XTP bullet in 357 magnum. Compare that to the maximum length of a 357 cartridge of 1.590".

My cases measured around 1.280 to 1.285" (once-fired brass). Compare that to the standard .357 cartridge length of 1.290". I've seen plenty of advice from experienced reloaders who trim their 357 brass to 1.280", which leads me to believe my cases are ok. But the resulting COL is below what Hodgdon lists.

Should I be concerned?

Last edited:
No you should be fine with those overall lengths. The biggest thing about revolvers is when the brass to gets to long it wont chamber in the cylinder. And excessive seating depth can the raise preasure.

In 25+ years of loading, I can't recall ever trimming brass for a straight wall handgun cartridge?
I may have and just don't recall? A revolver is usually a forgiving platform to load for.

In 25+ years of loading, I can't recall ever trimming brass for a straight wall handgun cartridge?
I may have and just don't recall? A revolver is usually a forgiving platform to load for.

My Dad never had to trim our straight walled pistol brass either. It usually split before it required any trimming.

FWIW, I went to the range this evening and shot those 10 rounds. Nice 2" group at 7 yards from my 2" Taurus 617. Not too bad for a hack like me.

These were 158 gr Hornady XTP HP over 6.5 gr Bullseye. (1998 Alliant catalog says I could go as high as 6.8 but after all this is Bullseye so I didn't want to venture there). I was actually surprised these were not that much harder to handle than the commercial midrange 357's I've tried. (Speer GD 135gr 357, Corbon DPX 125gr 357) But while at the range I picked up a pound of Accurate #9 and that will be going under the rest of these XTP's.

18.4 grains of AA#9 with a 110 grain JHP is good for around 1,800 FPS out of a 6" barrel. Jr. mentioned it might crack the forcing cone. I don't shoot these a lot but I'll run a few of them in guns like Ruger GP 100. A beverage can filled with water makes for a awesome water show.

You won't double charge the AA#9 as it fills most of the case with near max loads. It meters really well too.

Back
Top Bottom