• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Unhappy with my .223 reloads SD/ES

waling out door.gif

IMHO, the variable that needs to be changed is the powder. Go with a slower powder and better case fill. As already stated, RE-15, or maybe: IMR 4064, BL-C(2), CFE223.
That is what I'm finding out. I've learned TAC is a double base powder and that type of powder is not conducive to small ES/SD numbers.

My last few years shooting PRS in and around the VA to PA area before I moved south we had more and more guys showing up with guns in .223 shooting 69s and 77s and they were doing well with it. It definitely can be done, but we very infrequently shot out to 1k. You could tell they were barely getting there past 800.
I cut my teeth in long distance where the average PRS lane was 700ish, but here on the East coast those are the longer lanes for sure.
I definitely hope the target has hit indicator lights at 1k because especially with a 1m by 1m target those things aren't even going to move much less make an audible *ding*.

I’ve used tac when loading plinking rounds for my AR, 55gr projectiles. Accuracy was not bad for its intended purpose. I load for a Wilson Combat urban sniper AR with 77 SMK projectiles, IMR 4064 and CCI #41 primers and it’s a laser!!! Those heavy projectiles need a different powder than TAC.

I’ve used tac when loading plinking rounds for my AR, 55gr projectiles. Accuracy was not bad for its intended purpose. I load for a Wilson Combat urban sniper AR with 77 SMK projectiles, IMR 4064 and CCI #41 primers and it’s a laser!!! Those heavy projectiles need a different powder than TAC.
I've been loading 77 gr SMKs with H4895 but I may try some with 4064 aftrr reading this. It's my goto .308 powder.

80 gr vld, varget, whatever the match cci srp is, lapua cases. 26 inch tube. 2850 fps. 1k doable all day long.

Tac isn't the best powder choice for heavy bullets, lake city isn't the best choice for brass and 3 thou is a bit tight for neck tension. Might be shaving jacket material or inducing runout during seating.

H4895 with 77 gr tmk /lapua brass and cci primers 2790 fps out a 26 barrel "Suppressed".
Have used varget to and not sure I can tell any change in sd's or groups.
I got some 75 gr hornaday bullets I wanna try and someone I know was doing 3000 fps max out to 1000 yds and he stated he was successfull.

Just started reloading .223 Rem and I'm not very happy with my SD/ES performance. I also reload 6.5CM and have SDs below 5 and ES around 10-13 consistently now.

For my .223 I'm using once fired LC brass from some Black Hills ammo. CCI 450s, TAC and Berger 73gr Target BT bullets. Case prep is done with RCBS bushing die with a 245 bushing. I'm getting around 3 thou neck tension with this LC brass. I trim/chamber/debur with a Giraud and run a Autotrickler v4 with FX-120i to throw powder.

24.6gr of TAC has yielded the best groups so far with about 100 rounds on this Tikka barrel.

Velocity 2952fps
ES 92
SD 44

Anyone have any recommendations? I have some Varget on the way to try out as well.
You don’t mention the COL. I would check the jump and adjust to .001 of the lands for starting point.

Use the same powder that you are using in the 6.5—-a lot of them are common to both calibers. TAC is, as others have said, not the best powder for your application. TAC is good for max velocities, and progressive reloading with heavier bullets.

Back
Top Bottom