• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Minimum Spindle Bore for Rifle Chambering

wnchstrtnfldvlle

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
70   0
Reaction score
I'm in the market to upgrade my 1022 lathe to a larger size for barrel chambering and more heavy duty machining. Shopping around there is a significant jump in price from the machines with the 1.5" bore to the 2" spindle bores. My question for those more experienced than I. Is there really a need for that extra half inch? I've done some looking at different barrel blank manufacturers, and most seem to be around the 1.5" max. Or would it be money better spent on the smaller machine but using the money saved to purchase the Taiwanese model for the better quality and precision?

Any thoughts would help. Thanks.

I purchased one of these about five or six years ago and have been well pleased. I do not do any chambering, but I do like having the larger bore diameter. I would like to have a more quality machine, but just was not in my budget. This machine has served me well. I would suggest calling Precision Matthew’s and talking with them. They have great customer service. If your ever up around Suwanee you are welcome to come by and try it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0470.png
    IMG_0470.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
That's the one I talked to them about yesterday. It's pretty between that and the 1440GT. But that's like a 5k difference. I was asking the machinist forum about this and another guy mentioned the 1340GT. which has a 1 9/16th inch bore. He says that would work fine. I just wanted to try ask here as well. At this point I'm leaning towards the 1340 GT, so I can get the Taiwanese quality a lot closer to the cost of the 1440BV.

Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom