• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Minn. Farmer ‘Shocked’ After Horses Put Down By State Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah..Pissed at the person who installed the fences they got out of.
Pissed at the state troopers?..nope.

People and the safe travel of motorists with children in the cars and the value of a farm animal ?..no comparison..not a hard decision.

put the farm animal down.(period)

You must have the tree proof fences then huh!? I would be overly pissed if this had happened to my horses! They couldn't even go to her house and wake her up and let her assist them!? Being in a Fire Dept, I have stopped traffic many of times for cows getting in the roadway, not once have we had to get any put down.
I'd say they were some trigger happy troopers!

I was a county and state officer for 32 years and have encountered horses or cattle in the road more times than I can remember.NEVER put one down. Always knew the farms in my patrol area (that's the way LE used to be--KNOW the people in your patrol community) and it wasn't all that hard to get in touch with the farmers in the area and have them check their animals.
Animals are frightened you have to approach them calmly. I always managed to get ropes on them and lead them out of the roadway or chase them far enough from the roadway to remove the danger....That's what blue lights (stop the traffic) and sirens (animals will retreat from sirens, at least that has been my experience) are for...all it takes is a little time and patience that you get paid for.
However in fairness, I must say that I was raised around animals on a farm for a good part of my younger years and I have respect for them but not fear..some people are scared to death of large animals if they have no experience with them...but I think a better decision could have been made.
Apparently they were in horse country and at least the local sheriff's officials that routinely patrol the area should have knowledge of the horse owners in the immediate area.. YES people's lives have priority but in this case AS DESCRIBED ,it should not have been that difficult to locate the owners...they didn't have any trouble finding them the next morning to tell them their horses had been killed.

Too lazy to read the article? Too busy jumping on an opportunity to rag on cops? Just too big a dumbass to think things through? Gotta be something.

call, he said one horse was on the side of the road and the other was on the freeway. He said once a State Trooper arrived, they unsuccessfully tried to get the 1,100-pound animals back over a 5-foot-high fence. Witt said there were some near-misses with trucks when the horses crossed into the lanes of traffic.

“It was chaotic, I guess, that’s the best way to describe it,” Witt said.

Witt said the brown horses were hard to see in the dark and got more and more agitated as the minutes went on. At one point, one of the horses kicked his squad after the noise of a semi slamming its brakes.

So, yeah...much safer for all concerned and more humane to just run around and risk...

View attachment 190320

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom