• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Minn. Farmer ‘Shocked’ After Horses Put Down By State Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand **** happens. You and I disagree on the amount of effort the State trooper put forth to save the horses - 19 mins is not that much time. I don't know if the trooper is just stupid that he can't get a horse to move? Either way, if your dog was on a highway like that, I sure hope they would stop traffic and save it instead of shooting it.

If my dog were on the highway she would be dead because no one would care. Hitting her would be an inconvenience but not dangerous. At the end of the day it would be my fault.

In my business interstate safety and safe travel of the motoring public is the absolute most important thing for me everyday.(period)
as it is as well for the highway patrol..they only patrol the interstates and work accident scences statewide,they wont be investigating a robery,burglary,rape.....Just safe travel and interstate traffic.(period)..If they made the determination that putting these animals down was the "safest"thing to do...Then it was.

I will tell you a quick story about my job.
i had a rookie climb up in my truck to ride along with me on a 3week OJT program.
I told him .."We will see at least 1 MAJOR accident involving small cars EVERY single day ...and a every single day you are in this truck we will see dozens of small fenderbenders on the shoulder..
We will also see at least 1 MAJOR Big Truck accident/rollover for every WEEK that you are in this truck...
Now i could see he really didnt believe me..but the first day we saw 2 autos(1 fatality)..and that night i woke him up for a truck rollover..

So in otherwords he saw 3 his first day on the job.....
It started to sinkin..This aint no game out here.

You guys make amistake on your jobs and someones order may be messedup and your boss gets mad..

I make a mistake on my job and people may DIE.(period)

These interstates out here at 75-80 mph aint no joke..its life/death..blood and glass.

pity the farm animals..i understand..but my father has been a horse owner and has owned hundreds of horses..and not 1 ever wound up loose running around on the interste..
they are expensive show horses.he has quality fences and at night they are in the barn..
i dont know what the $$value was on these horses but that should have nothing to do with the quality of care/fencing/barns that a responsible owner should provide.

It was 2 a.m. in the morning. How much traffic could there be that a trooper could not slow traffic down to drive around a horse? Come on guys, once you pull the trigger you can't bring them back. As important as you think you are, your time is not worth that much. Sheesh!!!

Besides, I don't know any horse that won't scram if you fire a shot in the air next to it. If you shoot it on a highway, you'd have to find a way to drag it off and that would take hours. Common sense is dead nowadays.

Don't drive much at 2am, do you? There can be plenty of traffic. And since the horses were not standing still, they would have to bring all traffic to a dead stop, not "drive around it".
BTW - I did not see you answer how long a wait was proper. How many accidents and injuries would be appropriate to account for 2 horses running loose because the owner did not properly restrain them?
Common sense would tell you that firing a gun in the air would do absolutely no good at all. The horses were already running wild - you think this would help?
I don't like that it happened, just like I don't like seeing dogs get hit by cars, but this is the owner's fault in both cases.

You hear that guys? If you have fences make sure you build them out of Adamantium. I don't think trees will damage that.

Unobtanium should suffice as well.

You hear that guys? If you have fences make sure you build them out of Adamantium. I don't think trees will damage that.

Unobtanium should suffice as well.

No, but if you have 1200 pound mobile road hazards keep the damn things out of traffic. Derrrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom