• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Montana on my mind

My brother lives just outside Bozeman and has offered me a small piece of land if I would come out there and build after I retire. We just spent Christmas out there with a couple feet of snow and really had me second-guessing things as I love to spend most of my time outside. It was actually very nice getting back to Georgia to see green grass.

I think I'd prefer a spot that's easier to subsistence live if I had to. Montana is beautiful though. Idaho is even nicer. The Atchafalaya River Basin between Mississippi and Louisiana (and down to the Gulf) is probably one of the few places in the country you can fish, hunt and survive with very little in a bad situation. A 20ft john boat with an outboard and a shallow draft canoe and you could get lost in that swamp for years and eat well. Just stock lots of premethrin and several ways to purify water. And have a hammock tent. Southern Mossouri is nice too. And land is cheap.

Over 10 years ago (read: old info) I did a lot of research on where I could buy a decent piece of land at a good price. I was surprised how tricky water rights can get in many Western states. I was also surprised where I thought some of the best deals were, among them probably the state I favored most was Kentucky.

Back
Top Bottom