• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

More Mercury 9.9 issues…

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
First, thanks for helping me figure out the prop issue I had-sure enough it was actually a spun hub. Found me a new one, and no more troubles-thanks, guys!

New issue is probably related to the boneheads at Bass Pro Macon. (Terrible shop. I definitely do not recommend.)

I originally took the motor to bass pro in Macon-before I had any idea what a spun hub was.

Those guys did all kinds of silly stuff…. Told me the ‘slipping’ I was experiencing was bad plugs.

Replaced plugs, fuel filter, maybe cleaned carb…. They were just spitballing without really diagnosing

Anyhow, the issue I have now is skipping.

Motor runs great all the way to full throttle. Once at sit at full throttle for any length of time, start getting a skip that I can’t hear, but can feel little tugs on the handle and through the boat.

Back off just a little, and skipping goes away completely.

Also, boat isn’t making the speed it used to. Lost about 4 mph at full throttle . But that could be the new prop. Looks like the same pitch to my eyeball, but could be slightly different

Any idea where to start (plugs are new, but I gotta pull them and check gap.)

What else should I look at?

Is there an easy way to test cables?

What about carb? Think they screwed something up getting it back together.

I have babied this engine since new. I change every year, I only use non ethanol fuel-it has never seen a drop of anything else

To further explain the skipping, it happens two or three times a second at full throttle. Back off any perceptible amount and it goes away totally. Runs like a champ at anything less than @98% rpm

Thanks for the help again-y’all are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom