Movies as a kid that changed you

cat_women_of_moon11.jpg

Cat Women of the Moon

Another thread brought up the movie JAWS, So that got me to thinking about the summer of 1975. It was brutally hot in Far Rockaway New York and I remember standing in line for hours to see the new JAWS Movie. I grew up on the beach and would cool off in the summer wading around in the water off of Rock Away beach. Being 7 years old I had a great interest in sharks, I remember drawing them all over my brown paper sack homemade book covers covering my schoolbooks. I walked into the that air conditioned movie theater, oh, felt so good. The lights went down, I was eating my popcorn, soaking up the grandness of it all. I remember when that damn head popped out of the boat, scarred the beloved Jesus out of me. I remember never going back to the beach again, I started taking showers because I was afraid a damn shark would come up through the pipes and get me. The movie was filmed a few miles down the beach around Amityville, I think. Less than year a
prior some nut named DeFeo shot up his family with a Marlin 35 in that same community, of course that house reminded me a lot of the house where we lived, but that's another topic for later. So, what Movie as a kid left an indelible mark on your psyche?
Did anyone mention Red Dawn? That one still holds up today I think.

WOLVERINES!!!

Another thread brought up the movie JAWS, So that got me to thinking about the summer of 1975. It was brutally hot in Far Rockaway New York and I remember standing in line for hours to see the new JAWS Movie. I grew up on the beach and would cool off in the summer wading around in the water off of Rock Away beach. Being 7 years old I had a great interest in sharks, I remember drawing them all over my brown paper sack homemade book covers covering my schoolbooks. I walked into the that air conditioned movie theater, oh, felt so good. The lights went down, I was eating my popcorn, soaking up the grandness of it all. I remember when that damn head popped out of the boat, scarred the beloved Jesus out of me. I remember never going back to the beach again, I started taking showers because I was afraid a damn shark would come up through the pipes and get me. The movie was filmed a few miles down the beach around Amityville, I think. Less than year a
prior some nut named DeFeo shot up his family with a Marlin 35 in that same community, of course that house reminded me a lot of the house where we lived, but that's another topic for later. So, what Movie as a kid left an indelible mark on your psyche?
1969 Easy Rider
Especially the campfire talk about how this used to be a great country, freedom & there’s been aliens living amongst us for years,

Honorable mention -

Bullitt 1968 (McQueen was the stuntman
cause they couldn’t find anyone that could ride better on the set)

Grand Prix 1966

The Great Escape 1963

My Son Hunter

Attachments

• DC3F48FB-D701-4356-9E6D-5AFE6A024733.png
    DC3F48FB-D701-4356-9E6D-5AFE6A024733.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 577A957C-6DFD-4305-8157-295B21447C2A.png
    577A957C-6DFD-4305-8157-295B21447C2A.png
    445 KB · Views: 6
  • 5FE3873C-0D20-48F1-AEB6-5F11A99DB785.png
    5FE3873C-0D20-48F1-AEB6-5F11A99DB785.png
    725 KB · Views: 5
  • 9DC0A92E-906C-4FAD-9A8F-264C07435158.png
    9DC0A92E-906C-4FAD-9A8F-264C07435158.png
    520.4 KB · Views: 5
Gotta be the original Creature from the Black Lagoon. It had just come out. I was just a kid, went to see it alone at the old Beach Theater in Ft. Screven.
Had to walk home in the dark, surf crashing on the beach, palm fronds rustling, street light (hung on a cable across Butler Ave.) swaying in the wind, casting changing shadows.
Thought sure that thing was gonna get me, ran the last two blocks home.
Thread revival because I was telling someone else this story the other day and my wife commented on the irony of me now living in a house on a lagoon, surrounded by palm trees.

Back
Top Bottom