• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

MRAD scope elevation change

The biggest issue is thinking in inches instead of mils. You have a scope with a mil based ruler right in front of your eye. If you sight in at whatever range, then then go to a further range (without a chronograph and ballistic software) you just aim at the center of the target and measure the drop with the reticle then adjust up that much.

I switched to mils and kept thinking in inches and it drove me nuts. I had to adjust my thinking accordingly and it was for the better. Works the same way with MOA as well.

P.S. Jot down your 'drops' on an index card cut into a circle and tape it to the inside of your scope cap (If anything like me - a cheat sheet for guys that can't remember squat after a few months (weeks, days, hours...)!

Each “click“ is .1mil per 100yds.

.1mil = .36MOA, so your mil adjustment translated into MOA is each “click” is .36MOA per 100yds.

1MOA = 1.047” per 100yds. For practical purposes, we round the 1.047” down to an even 1”, which is commonly referred to as “shooter’s MOA”.

So, .1mil is equal to .36” per 100yds, but you need to start thinking in mils if you’re going the MRAD route, and not in inches and/or MOA.

Thanks! This my new cheat sheet!

I will piggy back and add that you need an accurate muzzle velocity. You can plug that in to any number of free ballistics apps with other relevant data like your 200 yd zero and free weather data found online. It will spit out whatever number you need for adjustments. Either dial or hold with your reticle. All the razors have matching mil reticles that will allow this.

If you need to borrow a chronograph there are several members on here that would be more than happy to meet up at a range, myself included.

And once you go Mils, you won't go back. Counting to 10 is easier than these fraction shenannigans

Oh man - It finally clicked. I can’t tell you thank you enough. I really appreciate it.
Perhaps this will help understand how to "forget" inches.

-Assume you are zeroing your rifle at 200 yards and you aim at the bullseye and the bullet is low halfway down the target.
-Put your scope back on the bull's eye and look at your reticle to determine how many mils low it is using the scale of the reticle.
-If it's 2.5 mils low, dial 2.5 Mils UP. Who cares how many inches it is.
-Done.

If your scope is FFP, It doesn't matter if you performed this at 200 yards, 50 yards or 500 yd it will still work at any magnification. If it's SFP, it'll only work like this on a single preset magnification level (usually max magnification)

It's that simple.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

The conversions are important to have for spotters that either don't have a reticle in their spotting scope (my Nightforce TS-82 does not), or if your spotter's reticle is in one system while your reticle is in another.

When I'm spotting for my students, I almost always have a mix of MRAD and MOA shooters on the line. I have to convert back and forth between MRAD and MOA, and oftentimes have to throw inches in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom