• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Muh sub MOA tack driver!

Those Field and Stream videos must be doctored? 1 of 10…
IMG_4322.png
IMG_4323.png
IMG_4326.png
Cool video. Especially the fine print stuff. I do wonder what state or region he got the shooters from and why, if some were well known or renowned, however he put it, why didn’t they name them?

In my experience, 99% of shooters can't outshoot a box stock R700, including myself. For my hunting rifles, if it's under 2" in average conditions I'm ok with it. As far as cold bore shots, if it's within a 4" circle at 100yds I trust it to 200yds. If it's within 3", I might trust it a little farther. I'm not super comfortable with taking an animal at much past 300yds. Some are, and that's fine for them. I just don't want to risk an unethical shot and wounding an animal for it to suffer unnecessarily. Considering most of the deer I've taken were within 150yds or less, it's pretty much a non issue for me.

The idea of a rifle being able to outshoot the shooter is a false dichotomy. Accuracy flaws are cumulative. The less accurate the rifle, the bigger the group. The less accurate the shooter, the bigger the group. Now add them together to see just how poorly a person is going to shoot that rifle.

The idea of a rifle being able to outshoot the shooter is a false dichotomy. Accuracy flaws are cumulative. The less accurate the rifle, the bigger the group. The less accurate the shooter, the bigger the group. Now add them together to see just how poorly a person is going to shoot that rifle.
While I agree that the effects add up, I disagree that a rifle can't outshoot the shooter. If I can't best 2" and then hand the rifle to someone who shoots 1" with it, the rifle is certainly more capable than I am.

While I agree that the effects add up, I disagree that a rifle can't outshoot the shooter. If I can't best 2" and then hand the rifle to someone who shoots 1" with it, the rifle is certainly more capable than I am.
The point I'm making is that just because a rifle is more accurate than a shooter is capable shooting, which all are if you think about it, that does not mean it's accurate enough. If a rifle prints a 5 MOA group and a shooter is only capable of 6 MOA, that does not make the rifle's accuracy meaningless. It means both rifle and shooter suck and they are printing 11 MOA groups.

I only shoot 5 shot groups at 100 yards when Im shooting my air weight J frame.

I normally shoot 3 round groups/patterns with my rifles. My sons 243 will shoot moa with Hornady whitetail 100 grain from a rest without buck fever involved. I hear of folks who take 600 yard shots on deer but I am not that guy. I am 100-150 yard max with 243. I know the 243 will reach out but Im not confident enough in the shooter. I also hate to track. I am confident enough to shoot a hog at any distance I can see one.

Reactions: GFB
I only shoot 5 shot groups at 100 yards when Im shooting my air weight J frame.

I normally shoot 3 round groups/patterns with my rifles. My sons 243 will shoot moa with Hornady whitetail 100 grain from a rest without buck fever involved. I hear of folks who take 600 yard shots on deer but I am not that guy. I am 100-150 yard max with 243. I know the 243 will reach out but Im not confident enough in the shooter. I also hate to track. I am confident enough to shoot a hog at any distance I can see one.
A lot of my friends/family I’ve went to the range with have laughed at first when I mention shooting the 100yd target with an edc pistol. I know it changed my world the first time a Veteran friend of mine showed me what could be achieved. Practice makes a person better, as with everything. An old Ruger P90 made my day years ago.

Back
Top Bottom