• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Successful Subsonic Hunting

I only use 300bo when hunting a 50 yard or less shot… the drop is so silly that it’s easier to keep within 50 haha. I’ve harvested probably a dozen with the 300bo suppressed. Rarely they run off and with that ammo it works really well and is stupid quiet. I also use 6.5cm suppressed, not “quiet” by any standard but I feel that is is pretty safe and definitely helps with the noise.

For sure.

I’m not going to handicap myself- I’m looking for real world feedback & I Will limit myself to ranges that are ethical with subs & supers.

I plan on trying out the 165 TGK “Gamechangers”( ) at regular 308 speeds also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

f2bd31dba14a5bcf3672e5d7aa3c94a8.jpg

23bab4fde5e149bd1709899412e22e33.jpg

At 50 yards
439ba87584f73be8361683cd041813a4.jpg

I always get an itch when this topic comes up.

Physics dictate the sub vs supersonic equation. Are we discussing quiet vs quieter?

Speed has to stay below 1050 fps to avoid the dreaded super crack, so the best way to up the ft/lbs of kinetic energy delivered to the target is to up the weight of the projo.

However, that also affects the trajectory and the "kill" distance. Flat trajectories for most rounds become serious bell curves quickly once the normal bullet weight is increased by 35% or more..

So, what side are we working on? Quiet can kill at much longer ranges, but negating the 1050 fps gets you the crack.

Quieter at 1050 fps or less gets you less noise and greatly reduced range for a quality "kill" shot.

Physics dictate the sub vs supersonic equation. Are we discussing quiet vs quieter?

Speed has to stay below 1050 fps to avoid the dreaded super crack, so the best way to up the ft/lbs of kinetic energy delivered to the target is to up the weight of the projo.

However, that also affects the trajectory and the "kill" distance. Flat trajectories for most rounds become serious bell curves quickly once the normal bullet weight is increased by 35% or more..

So, what side are we working on? Quiet can kill at much longer ranges, but negating the 1050 fps gets you the crack.

Quieter at 1050 fps or less gets you less noise and greatly reduced range for a quality "kill" shot.
Have to disagree about increased weight negatively effecting trajectory. If the MV is the same the trajectory will be very similar regardless of bullet weight. Identical, in fact, if the BC is the same and a heavier bullet has a a higher BC as long as the aerodynamic design is the same. With that said, differences in BC really isn't going to affect bullet flight much at all at the ranges you would typically be shooting subsonic.

Bottom line is that if a 200 grain bullet and a 400 grain bullet both have a MV of 1000fps they will also have the same practical POI. The difference is that the 400 grain bullet will have twice the energy as the 200 grain bullet because it has twice the mass.

The pigs will still run...

Wild Pigs, coyotes, & groundhogs should have a new fear if a fellow has an accurate sub gun in places where he don’t want to announce things or scare the desirable wildlife.

The jury is still out for me on taking deer with subs but I’m finding these accurate for the less desirables.

Quiet & Quieter.

Both.

It’s been my experience our rifles shoot better with a can.

Now I’m curious of the effectiveness of subsonic heavies.

Wild Pigs, coyotes, & groundhogs should have a new fear if a fellow has an accurate sub gun in places where he don’t want to announce things or scare the desirable wildlife.

The jury is still out for me on taking deer with subs but I’m finding these accurate for the less desirables.

Sounds like you are going down the same path I did. My 300 Blk for the less desirables, but the 450 Bushmaster for anything bigger.

Back
Top Bottom