• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Successful Subsonic Hunting

Quiet & Quieter.

Both.

It’s been my experience our rifles shoot better with a can.

Now I’m curious of the effectiveness of subsonic heavies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
200 grain at 1050fps = 490 ft-lb
395 grain at 1050fps = 967 ft-lb

Substantial difference.

My daughter's ex-boyfriend lives in TX.

He and his brothers make a nice second income from hog disposal for local farmers, using 300 blk, usually from about 100-150ft away using NV equipment and AR15-pattern rifles, from the back of a truck. Most of the time, they're able to deal with the pests pretty humanely and quietly enough that usually, they don't stampede the survivors. Sometimes, it takes a couple of shots.

When he goes shooting game instead of vermin, he's running supersonic with (I think) a 338. He's pretty outspoken about not letting Bambi's family suffer.

f2bd31dba14a5bcf3672e5d7aa3c94a8.jpg

23bab4fde5e149bd1709899412e22e33.jpg

At 50 yards
439ba87584f73be8361683cd041813a4.jpg

Are those your loads or factory? Those velocities are pretty consistent for a 300BO sub. ES and SD are also respectable. If they're handloads, do mind sharing your recipe?

So you want no noise. OK, so your held to velocity under 1000' per second. So bore size and bullet weight have no consequence other than sound of bullet impact. So my vote is a 44mag bolt action rifle with a 300gr bullet. So now you have maximum wound channel. With 300gr bullet you get maximum penetration with maximum energy transfer, ie a hand load. So the only down side is heavy bullet equals a louder impact noise. The bolt action is for simplicity, best reliability and cheapest design

Are those your loads or factory? Those velocities are pretty consistent for a 300BO sub. ES and SD are also respectable. If they're handloads, do mind sharing your recipe?

My load is Red Dot with 208 ELD seconds.

Why subsonic? You should be plenty hearing safe with 300blk suppressed using supers. When the loudest sound is the sonic crack, the direction from which the shot came is indistinguishable.

There’s something cool about hearing the projectiles hit the target.

Back
Top Bottom