• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Multi caliber brass catcher?

gizzard

Default rank <300 posts Lifetime Supporter
Tracker
26   0
Reaction score
Looking for good ideas on a universal method of catching brass from pistols and rifles.

I shoot in a grassy area and the brass does not always hit in the same spot due to testing loads and different guns.
I have thought of making a pvc frame with a fish net or something else on it to guide the cases to the same spot.
Got to be a better way someone has thought of than a sheet and a metal detector when shooting in vegetative areas.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.

I've struggled with this myself - I'm thinking of just sewing some strong magnets into some thick cloth and attach it to the top of the receiver with some weights at the bottom so the brass ejects, hits the cloth, and then drops straight down. The other idea I'm thinking about is using a tarp and some poles to make a certain that will stop the brass and let it drop and collect at the bottom. I tried to mak one out of PVC myself but found the opening has to be very large to catch different calibers and guns as the ejection pattern differs greatly between each gun. Good luck with the search - let us know if you find anything that works.

Most people give up on it, because reguardless of how big you build it the brass never goes to the same area, and it becomes to much of a pain in the butt to put up and take down. I've seen the PVC frames with fish net's, sheet's, the ole pitch back frames with sheets, net's, and styrofoam sheets. I've even seen guy's attach fancy homemade things to their weapons to try and deflect the brass, NADA. If you could design it, fast, easy setup, and takedown you'd make Million's. Not saying it can't be done I've just never seen an Idea that worked. Good luck in your quest we'll be watching for some results.

Last edited:
A fast handed friend, wife, or a sheet?

If it's a public place, I usually find more than I shoot.
If it's private, then I'll find next time what I lose this trip.

Handgun wise, my match brass is all that really bothers me to lose,
or get screwed up on number of times loaded?

My target .45's will usually stack them in a nice pile within a couple
of feet of me.

If you have them being thrown a quarter mile away, you likely need a heavier
or at least a replacement slide spring.

As above, I'd be curious to see what you come up with?
Build that better mouse trap? Good Luck, CD

I saw something pretty awesome the other day. a duffle bag with some kind of roll out rip stop net in it ( spreads on the ground)- when your done you roll the net up and stuff it in the bag, then unroll it in your garage and vhoula. brass. It actually seemed to work pretty well- Ill see if I cant find out what its called.

Thanks for the comments guys.
I may try a loop contraption using some old copper tubing left over from HVAC work. Stick it on a pipe in the ground or something.
Squirrel's roll up net would probably be better than a sheet too.
The cargo van sure would be a hoot but maybe an older one with all the shag carpet lining it.

pitcher/catcher buddy system... fun for all!

one person shoots... other person catches...the brass that is (<---very important part)

i went to tractor supply and bought a 20x20 tarp and that is what i use.stand on the edge about 3 ft from the front corner and you might lose a couple pieces of brass but that is it has worked really good for me.

Thanks for the comments guys.
I may try a loop contraption using some old copper tubing left over from HVAC work. Stick it on a pipe in the ground or something.
Squirrel's roll up net would probably be better than a sheet too.
The cargo van sure would be a hoot but maybe an older one with all the shag carpet lining it.

The One with the Peace signs,Water Bed and Strobe Lights! :hippie:

Back
Top Bottom