• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Multi-use Pistol Powder Recomendations?

Universal (NOT Clays) and Tight Group as they both meter well. I really like Universal (NOT Clays), as it is a UNIQUE "Substitute" and its loads tend to noticeably fill the case (making double charges highly unlikely)

The Universal (NOT Clays) usually works best on the upper end of loads, while the Tight Group needs to be
carefully metered as it is HOTTER and meters like water! Further, it goes a long way and is great for crafting range fodder.

Universal (NOT Clays) and Tight Group as they both meter well. I really like Universal (NOT Clays), as it is a UNIQUE "Substitute" and its loads tend to noticeably fill the case (making double charges highly unlikely)

The Universal (NOT Clays) usually works best on the upper end of loads, while the Tight Group needs to be
carefully metered as it is HOTTER and meters like water! Further, it goes a long way and is great for crafting range fodder.

Good stuff. I like Titegroup and Universal as well.

I use Unique or Red Dot for basically all my Pistol loads from 380 to 45LC, RD is a little Smokey but accurate, PM for recipes for those loads.

My preference is Alliant Power Pistol for 9mm, 40 s&w, 10mm, and 45ACP. Burns clean and consistent, get higher velocities, meters well, and is very accurate. Not sure how it does in 380, but in the calibers I listed, it does great.

What are your favorite powders for multi-caliber pistol use?
I rarely load to past 80% of the calibers capability, no hot loads, +P stuff, or anything like that.
Accuracy is important though...

AlphaM... is there really a need to have 1 powder? Is it out of convenience or laziness? I have found some powder are best used for certain calibers. However, there are three I can recommend for all around powder. Certain powders just simply work better than others in specific calibers. That's my recommendation. I really like 700x but it can be difficult to meter. I dont like titegroup only because you can double charge

If you are absolute on finding only 1 powder:
1) HS-6
2) 700X
3) CFE Pistol

For Heavier bullets
1) WSF (not 380 auto)

For cowboy loads
1) Trail Boss

All those suggested are fine. As is 231 or it's twin, hp38. Some may meter better than others. Some may smoke more than others.

Back
Top Bottom