My Ideal Deer Rifle

Over a semi?
Reliability.
Not sensitive to changes in bullet weights, powder charge, etc. (You still have to keep OAL of the loaded rounds within spec, though).

If you're used to pump-action shotguns, like I am, a pump action hunting rifle makes sense.
What makes pump shotguns popular?
Whatever that is, I say it applies to rifles too. At least rifles that aren't expected to be precision long-range guns for those 350-1000 yard shots.

I can agree with that. I'm digging my ar 10 tho. I've shot everything from 150-175 with varying charges (working a load up for it) without any reliability issues. I've settled on 165 grain over some ram tac for sub moa hunting bullets. Adjustable stock and even my 8yo shoots it well. ADM mounts for scopes, 1x4 for pigs and 4x16 for deer.

I like bolts too but I'm stocking up on repeaters while prices are low, it's gonna get crazy again around re-election time.

On the reliability side, on my buddy's savage the bolt failed, the primer blew out of the cartridge and the brass got stuck in the chamber. This was with factory hornady ammo. I have just as much faith in my modern repeaters as I do in my bolts.

I am wanting to try a pump action now.... any suggestions for a mid entry level? ;):thumb:

7MM-08 would be great. I prefer .25-06
25-06 is the best whitetail cartridge there is, not just my opinion which means squat, but the opinion of many very well respected veterans. It's weight, velocity, diameter and sectional density expend energy extremely efficiently in deer sized game at a wide range of yardages. It's perfectly matched. I'd say from a percentage standpoint it probably accounts for more dead on the spot deer than any other cartridge, per round fired. The only argument against it would be for the .270 which is just as deadly, only with noticeably more recoil.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My Dad lives in middle Georgia, and for 40+ years has used what I would consider close to being the "perfect" deer harvesting rifle for the Southeast.

He uses a Remington 742 Woodmaster in 30-06. He removed the sights and put a 3x9 scope on it, because unless there's ordnance going off nearby you won't damage modern optics anyway, so why keep the sights?

The rifle is a nice, short package, very light, yet soft recoiling. Semiautomatic, magazine fed, quick "follow up" shots on the 2nd deer are easy. You shouldn't need follow up on the first deer, as no one can argue with a 30-06's capability to put meat in the freezer and not be deflected by any thin brush in the way. It is not a tack driver, but it's plenty accurate enough for white tail deer out to any range you're likely to encounter, especially in the woods of Middle Georgia.

No quick change barrel, but you can get or load 30-06 in just about any bullet weight you want, and no threading for a suppressor. The mags don't hold 10 rounds, but they hold enough for deer.

One year on opening day he shot a 4 pointer in the head and the spike following him through the chest. BOOM!..BOOM! We had two deer hanging up by 10:30 am. Plenty of work for the rest of the day and the freezer was half filled.

That gave him the rest of the season to hunt the way he really wanted to hunt: with a Black Widow recurve bow and arrow. For him, the rifle was only there to feed us.

Two of my favorite pump guns- my first deer rifle, Remington 141 in 35 remington. Not sure I'd stretch it's legs that far and it's tubular magazine but it is a pump and the 35 is nice enough. Much better woods gun.

My current favorite is my 7600 in 280. as you mention, the detachable magazine is nice, the pump action is smooth (basically a rifle version of the 870 shotgun) and solid, and the 280 is one of my favorite calibers. If I didn't have other 280s, I'd consider making it an AI version but I'll stick with the basic chamber. Very nice shooting little gun.

Another advantage of the pump that I didn't see mentioned is the action is short so you can work it while still shouldering the rifle, and you don't need to move your head to work the action either, so keeping eyes on target is nice.

That's a cool weapon you're describing, but it's almost like a hunting/tactical hybrid. I've never felt the need for a detachable mag or more than four rounds in my hunting rifles. As for very fast follow up shots, in 45 years of hunting I've only run in to one situation where a very fast follow up was needed (a 415lb hog decided he didn't want to share his woods with me), but even then my bolt action got the job done.

I've used bolt actions almost exclusively for hunting, but by coincidence, the first deer I ever killed with a rifle was with a 760 in 30-06. The deer went down at the shot, but then got back up and when I went for a follow up shot the rifle malfunctioned. Fortunately, the first shot was a good one and he didn't go far.

As for light and handy, this has been my go-to rifle for many years now and I love it.
300wsm.jpg

18 1/4 inch barrel and weighs in at 8.8lbs with the scope. I'm also confident with it from point blank to 400 yards.

Before started hunting with handguns only. I hunted with a rem 742 in 06. Never a hang up. good out to 400 yards if you sight in a 3 " high at 200 yards. My uncle liked pumps bc he is left handed and the autos sometimes threw the shells in his face. He uses a rem 7600 in 06 and had one for his wife in 6mm a believe.

a 7 mm-08 throws a 140 gr. bullet at 2800 f.p.s.
Why do you call that "moderate" velocity?
That's the same velocity as a .308 with a standard 150 gr bullet, and only 100 f.p.s. less than the famous .30-06 with the standard 150 gr. bullet.

I wouldn't call a bottlenecked deer rifle round "moderate" velocity unless it
started around 2600 or less at the muzzle.

a 7 mm-08 throws a 140 gr. bullet at 2800 f.p.s.
Why do you call that "moderate" velocity?
That's the same velocity as a .308 with a standard 150 gr bullet, and only 100 f.p.s. less than the famous .30-06 with the standard 150 gr. bullet.

I wouldn't call a bottlenecked deer rifle round "moderate" velocity unless it
started around 2600 or less at the muzzle.

You wouldn't call 2800 fps moderate but I will. Sorry if my choice of the word moderate triggered you. Again "moderate" velocity with high BC & SD bullets also applies to the 6.5 CM. This is a Ford vs Chevy debate. Everyone has their own opinion and idea of the mythical "Ideal deer rifle"

Back
Top Bottom