My Ideal Deer Rifle

Am I the only 22-250 shooter in this thread? It's a bolt gun of course. I mostly hunt the mountains, but have killed several deer at 400+ with it as well. I shoot everything in the head or neck, and it all works the same from 25 yards on out.

I hunt deer with a .223 among others.

One of the guys at my last club claimed to have shot 7 deer off one field in 30 minutes, had to reload his bar. Everyone there used semis because of all the hogs. I asked him why he kept shooting, he said cause they kept coming. His story was verified by the president, a guy a trust to keep bs to a minimum.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

IMG_20141114_191428752.jpg

One of the guys at my last club claimed to have shot 7 deer off one field in 30 minutes, had to reload his bar. Everyone there used semis because of all the hogs. I asked him why he kept shooting, he said cause they kept coming. His story was verified by the president, a guy a trust to keep bs to a minimum.

I hunted for years in Jenkins County in a dog hunting club. My brother and I killed 6 deer in one race that took about 30 minutes and covered about 3000 acres. Every time we got back in front of the dogs and jumped out of the truck a herd deer would be right on top of us. It is the most adrenaline charged time I have ever experienced hunting. Sure was a lot of gutting skinning though.

IMG_0344.JPG

Since we are talking about the "perfect" Deer rifle.

Here is mine. Originally bought off of another GVB member who had most of the modifications already done. The more I shoot this thing, the more I love it. It's as close to perfect as I have found since I started hunting in the 1970's..

Remington 700 SPS, chambered in 308 Win. With a lot of customizations.

Regards,

Rob

Quite the dilemma....
If someone found that "magic bullet" solution, they would be making a lot of folks happy.
I wrestled with some of these issues for a long time and it was compounded by being a southpaw. I eventually settled on a BLR in 308 with a good Weaver scope. It has done me well for a lot of years and there ain't many scenarios where it is not a good fit.

I am sure many others have opinions, but in the vast number of cases it simply comes down to:
- What can the bank afford?
- What feels good?

Hope you find that special rifle.....

Back
Top Bottom