• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My Ideal Deer Rifle

Am I the only 22-250 shooter in this thread? It's a bolt gun of course. I mostly hunt the mountains, but have killed several deer at 400+ with it as well. I shoot everything in the head or neck, and it all works the same from 25 yards on out.

yup sounds like a good simi would fit the bill. i've picked up a 742 in 6mm and am loving it so far, believe it would tic most of your boxes.

That's a cool weapon you're describing, but it's almost like a hunting/tactical hybrid. I've never felt the need for a detachable mag or more than four rounds in my hunting rifles. As for very fast follow up shots, in 45 years of hunting I've only run in to one situation where a very fast follow up was needed (a 415lb hog decided he didn't want to share his woods with me), but even then my bolt action got the job done.

I've used bolt actions almost exclusively for hunting, but by coincidence, the first deer I ever killed with a rifle was with a 760 in 30-06. The deer went down at the shot, but then got back up and when I went for a follow up shot the rifle malfunctioned. Fortunately, the first shot was a good one and he didn't go far.

As for light and handy, this has been my go-to rifle for many years now and I love it.
View attachment 1336324

18 1/4 inch barrel and weighs in at 8.8lbs with the scope. I'm also confident with it from point blank to 400 yards.

How do you like that stock? I'm debating getting that one for my Tikka

I've never hunted with a pump action rifle. What's the advantage over a semi rifle.

Other than the pump action requirement you've decribed a large frame AR.

There is no advantage. I've hunted with a semi (BAR) .270 for 29 years and it has never failed me. From 10-400 yards I have taken a slew of deer. I will retire it, except on future opening days, after this year.

Truth is, make the first shot count and you won't need a repeater. I plan to pick up a 1885 High Wall next year and it will be the rifle I carry for the remainder of my hunting days. Single shot rifles are excellent, and all I should ever need for deer. Works for me. YMMV

And shamelessly I will put this out here: If anyone has a 1885 High Wall in .270 and in great condition please let me know if you decide to sail.

[QUOTE="MRH, post: 7539496, member: 20201

Truth is, make the first shot count and you won't need a repeater. I plan to pick up a 1885 High Wall next year and it will be the rifle I carry for the remainder of my hunting days. Single shot rifles are excellent, YMMV[/QUOTE]
You should really rethink this. I realize that the whole making your shot count worked for my granpappy but todays deer travel in packs and I may need lots o bullets.
In my experience. I have found you get one good shot. If you are patient and the area large enough you may get two however there will be enough time between one and two to reload even a single shot. Normally anything else has gone into spray and pray.

I have hunted for years with a 30/30. I started with this rifle when I began hunting. I later borrowed a 270 but later returned it to my brother in law to use with his son. I also bought a single shot 243 and loved it because I knew I had to make a humane shot. I sold it. I really have the itch now not for something better but just something different. I am just trying to decide what.

IQUOTE="CAMSDADDY, post: 7546132, member: 3397"][QUOTE="MRH, post: 7539496, member: 20201

Truth is, make the first shot count and you won't need a repeater. I plan to pick up a 1885 High Wall next year and it will be the rifle I carry for the remainder of my hunting days. Single shot rifles are excellent, YMMV[/QUOTE]
You should really rethink this. I realize that the whole making your shot count worked for my granpappy but todays deer travel in packs and I may need lots o bullets.
In my experience. I have found you get one good shot. If you are patient and the area large enough you may get two however there will be enough time between one and two to reload even a single shot. Normally anything else has gone into spray and pray.

I have hunted for years with a 30/30. I started with this rifle when I began hunting. I later borrowed a 270 but later returned it to my brother in law to use with his son. I also bought a single shot 243 and loved it because I knew I had to make a humane shot. I sold it. I really have the itch now not for something better but just something different. I am just trying to decide what.[/QUOTE]

Rethink it? LOL...I have hunted for 38 years, and I am only 43. In all those years I can count on one hand the times when I needed another shot. Reloading a single shot rifle takes a very short amount of time, but I hope it won't be necessary. Of course I have always hunted mostly hardwoods. Use what works for you and I will use what works for me. Like I said, I have hunted with a semi auto since I was 14, so I have nothing against repeaters. I also own a couple 30/30's and like them too...As for "Grandpappy", he probably forgot more about hunting than we will ever know, but perhaps not. I have hunted within 5 minutes of my house on 1,000 acres all my life, so I have spent enough time hunting to account for 3 lifetimes. I have no reservations when I say I will be fine with the 1885 High Wall.

Do you really believe the deer are different today? More populated, certainly, but no different. I don't go out there in hopes of taking all of them. Obviously our goals are different. I'm looking for one good deer at a time. I have passed up 10x more deer than I have taken. Probably more...

Back
Top Bottom