• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My most regretted moment when hunting?

Get this nonsense. You know you've got these hunters that go out and wash their clothes and odorless detergent and put spray hormones on their boots and all that stuff just so they can hide from the deer better. Every year I went hunting with my dad he took in a chair, a thermos of coffee, and sat in the woods and smoked the whole time he was hunting. That man bagged one every freaking year. One year I was hunting from him just on the side of a a little Hill. We knew that the deer had been coming down both sides so we decided each to take one side and Hunt basically adjacent each other on the opposite sides of the Hill. Well this year the same thing that happened before did it again so I leaned my gun up against the tree and commenced to doing my business out there in the forest. All of a sudden I hear two 30-06 shots blast out of the wilderness and like the scared me to death I fell backwards it startled me so bad. He was less than 25 yards from me so I got the full concussion of it. Sure enough he heart shot a deer in full run and nobody else said season got anything. Now go figure that out! He said he had to set his coffee down and kept the cigarette in his mouth when he shot. Unbelievable, just simply unbelievable!

I tried to hold it as long as I could but just got to the point where drastic measures had to be taken. I was there taking an industrial size dump in an area of good cover and a massive nontypical strolled by and I was mid dump. My gun was 4 feet away leaning up against a tree. That dump cost me the season because it was the last day. I had let a couple shooters go because I knew he was coming. DOING THE WRONG THING AT THE WRONG TIME! The story of my life. 🙄 Whats a man suppose to do?
You ask what a man supposed to do?? Answer: learn or lay the gun within reach and shoot with your pants down!!!!! Use toilet paper after the shot!!!! Lol. Speaking from experience.

Not going this evening!!! From my camera just a little while ago.
PICT5072_H_2022121822573xctW.jpg

I tried to hold it as long as I could but just got to the point where drastic measures had to be taken. I was there taking a industrial size dump in a area of good cover and a massive nontypical strolled by and I was mid dump. My gun was 4 feet away leaning up against a tree. That dump cost me the season because it was the last day. I had let a couple shooters go because I knew he was coming. DOING THE WRONG THING AT THE WRONG TIME! The story of my life. 🙄 Whats a man suppose to do?
Always be prepared, always.....I have a few wall hangers doing the same thing. The difference is, my gun is always within reach

Legally Shot a Buck in a restricted area across a 50 ft ravine, he was running across the opposite side along a trail I was watching, I saw a full body shot thru the 3x9 scope and let a 30-30 fly and as he dropped, the Doe that was apparently running alongside him, did too. The 30-30 soft point had found its was thru him and into her, making her kill not seasonal at that location. She wasn't visible thru the scope when I fired.
Bad, but it was an honest mistake. Just glad it wasn't a human

Accidently making a high rifle shot on a mature doe; paralyzed she laid down immediately and began bleating - I had to scramble down and dispatch her with my pistol - her obvious distress still haunts me and I've resisted taking some challenging shots since to ensure no repeat.

You ask what a man supposed to do?? Answer: learn or lay the gun within reach and shoot with your pants down!!!!! Use toilet paper after the shot!!!! Lol. Speaking from experience.
Yep, yep and yep....Not proud of it, but the deer is on the wall. After the shot, you take you're time and finish your business. Then go collect your deer. I'll take it any day

Accidently making a high rifle shot on a mature doe; paralyzed she laid down immediately and began bleating - I had to scramble down and dispatch her with my pistol - her obvious distress still haunts me and I've resisted taking some challenging shots since to ensure no repeat.
Deal is to use a heavy enough bullet so you don't miss your mark. I got tired of passing on deer due to not feeling confident the cartridge would do the job. I use a 375 H&H with a 270gr sp when hunting in thick brush. I don't have to pass on anything and I always hit my mark. Instant blood trail and no loss of meat. Also I hope to hunt some dangerous game with it

Back
Top Bottom