• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My old hunting grounds

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
Called one of my buddies in Virginia last night. My mother went to work for a while and their mother use to babysit me. She had four boys. As we got older around 13 we would just take the guns and go out and hunt all day. I mean we would hunt from sun up to sun down.

Well I called him last night and they still have that land. He took two huge 8 points and a massive 10 point this year and Troy took a 8 point as well. He told me I wouldn't believe the size of the dear up there now. Needless to say I know where I will be hunting this year. I am going through the divorce so I am moving up their up there anyway. There father has a huge house on the property so we could probably just stay on site. The beauty of it all is he is a butcher and has his own meat processing plant at the exit of his property. Win!

All but one of the brothers still live right there real close to each other in the same county so it will taking up just where we left off. It's been 35 years since I hunted on that property. Last time was when I was sixteen. I drove down from Maryland when we lived there.

Sounds like AWESOME life long friends/family!!
The property is to die for, & the DEER,& the butcher shop.
What else could one want or need.
Good luck on the move!!!
KUDOS to ya brother.
MOVE ON from your divorce, LIFE is TOO SHORT!!!

Sounds like AWESOME life long friends/family!!
The property is to die for, & the DEER,& the butcher shop.
What else could one want or need.
Good luck on the move!!!
KUDOS to ya brother.
MOVE ON from your divorce, LIFE is TOO SHORT!!!
I appreciate it bro. It's been a long time coming though. She has been treating like a dog for so long I am actually over it. I am actually looking forward to leaving if you can believe that. I won't have a care in the world. Well, except for what gun I am going use today. LOL

I can literally drive a golf ball to the mighty James River and it's chock full of smallmouth bass. It also has it's fair share of largemouth, channel cat and your typical pan fish. It's a massive river with huge fish. I might have to invest in a nice little fishing boat. Maybe a Riverhawk or John Boat with a small motor as it will be needed to fight the current. There is one overlook pull off spot about 5 miles from my house that overlooks the mountains and the river. It's a little shallow there ( about 4 to 5 feet ) and it is nothing but white tips where the river flows over the rocks. It is one of the most breath taking views in Virginia. I will have to take a snap shot and post it after I get up there.

Right after I moved and get settled in the first priority is to find a 63-67 Plymouth Belvedere. My first car was actually a 67 but the earlier ones are have shorter wheel bases and are great for the track and street. It's not a real popular car unless you are a Richard Petty fan. His 67 was the winningest car in NASCAR to this day. I just lover the lines and they are relatively light when you see the length. They are lighter than today's Camaros and Mustangs. I am kind of favoring the earlier years though for this build. I love em. This is what I am going for. They came out with either a 413, 426 max wedge or Hemi. I am looking for a wedge car with dual carbs. They came from the factory with dual carbs.
0705_mopp_09_z-1964_plymouth_belvedere-side_view.jpg

I appreciate it bro. It's been a long time coming though. She has been treating like a dog for so long I am actually over it. I am actually looking forward to leaving if you can believe that. I won't have a care in the world. Well, except for what gun I am going use today. LOL

I can literally drive a golf ball to the mighty James River and it's chock full of smallmouth bass. It also has it's fair share of largemouth, channel cat and your typical pan fish. It's a massive river with huge fish. I might have to invest in a nice little fishing boat. Maybe a Riverhawk or John Boat with a small motor as it will be needed to fight the current. There is one overlook pull off spot about 5 miles from my house that overlooks the mountains and the river. It's a little shallow there ( about 4 to 5 feet ) and it is nothing but white tips where the river flows over the rocks. It is one of the most breath taking views in Virginia. I will have to take a snap shot and post it after I get up there.

You're making me homesick....which part of Virginia?

You're making me homesick....which part of Virginia?

Big Island, it's in Bedford County. 302 population on the side of a Mt. over the James River. It's actually in between Lynchburg ( where I was born ) and Roanoke. Our property is about a half a mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was actually raised until I was 10 in Bedford. All my relatives live all up in those parts. It's smack dab in the middle of Virginia. If you are looking from east to west. Home sweet home!

Well my money came in finally so it looks like I will moving here in the next two weeks. I might make it for the tail end of spring turkey. I need a nice shotgun. I have older ones and I mean old but I want a new one. I like the look and features of the Benelli. What do you guys recommend for turkey and other fowl?

Back
Top Bottom