• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NCAA players to get paid an have agents

How do you know that? Worked in college sports? Or just do you just assume so?
I thought so. Now do some research. I have.
Have you? What schools are you looking in to, GA Southern? We're talking about big time Division 1 programs here. The money makers. Kirby Smart has a $49 million dollar contract with UGA. You think UGA pays that off of state subsidiaries? He also gets to star in Ford commercials every game day. He probably gets free F150's as long as he coaches there. But you're worried if Jake Fromm or whoever makes a buck from advertising or signing his jersey?

I think my issue is the "slippery slope". If you allow a kid to make money off himself then you're basically making it legal for boosters to pay kids for "commercials". The entire sport will turn into a pseudo-Pro league with kids going to make the most money they can. As it stands today, kids go to the best school they think can help get them to the next level. I just think it changes the entire landscape.

If a student were on academic scholarship, I don’t think there is anything that would prohibit him from earning money on the side or hiring an agent. What if he’s an actor or musician? Why is it different for someone on an athletic scholarship? NCAA has a monopoly on profits involving their “student-athletes” and that’s what they’re fighting to uphold.

If a student were on academic scholarship, I don’t think there is anything that would prohibit him from earning money on the side or hiring an agent. What if he’s an actor or musician? Why is it different for someone on an athletic scholarship? NCAA has a monopoly on profits involving their “student-athletes” and that’s what they’re fighting to uphold.
Students aren't competing in specifically defined and regulated amateur athletics. Neither are musicians.
I'm amazed at the willingness of people to buy the "victim" narrative from the left. As if the athletes don't have unlimited options. It is the exact same 'logic' of those that lament CEO pay vs front line workers.
Lol at an athlete needing to hire an agent to sell an autograph.
Every single athlete that wants to go pro and/or profit off their likeness does NOT have to attend college. I'm unaware of any professional league that requires participation in college sports. Wait your time and walk on. Or if you'd like to join a college team, you'll have to "suffer" through all your expenses being paid, the use of multi million dollar facilities, trainers, nutritionists and doctors, and access to a national stage to show your abilities. And if you are good enough you can go make your own in millions in short order. If not, you don't have to pay back one... thin... dime.
Oh the humanity!!!!
This diversion by the lunatic Cal governor is nothing more than a smoke screen.
If he was REALLY concerned about the imagined injustice, he'd push for a bona fide professional minor league.

I wanna be 100% clear I don't think they are victims of anything. I just think it's bull**** to not allow them to make money on their own. You would think we would all agree college kids now days could use a lesson in capitalism.

Students aren't competing in specifically defined and regulated amateur athletics. Neither are musicians.
I'm amazed at the willingness of people to buy the "victim" narrative from the left. As if the athletes don't have unlimited options. It is the exact same 'logic' of those that lament CEO pay vs front line workers.
Lol at an athlete needing to hire an agent to sell an autograph.
Every single athlete that wants to go pro and/or profit off their likeness does NOT have to attend college. I'm unaware of any professional league that requires participation in college sports. Wait your time and walk on. Or if you'd like to join a college team, you'll have to "suffer" through all your expenses being paid, the use of multi million dollar facilities, trainers, nutritionists and doctors, and access to a national stage to show your abilities. And if you are good enough you can go make your own in millions in short order. If not, you don't have to pay back one... thin... dime.
Oh the humanity!!!!
This diversion by the lunatic Cal governor is nothing more than a smoke screen.
If he was REALLY concerned about the imagined injustice, he'd push for a bona fide professional minor league.

I don’t see how they should be prohibited from selling an autograph or getting paid to back a product. It’s none of my business. It’s none of your business. Whether or not we think they should do those things is irrelevant. The question is this: who should get to make the decision? You, me, the NCAA, the university, or the individuals themselves?

I don’t see how they should be prohibited from selling an autograph or getting paid to back a product. It’s none of my business. It’s none of your business. Whether or not we think they should do those things is irrelevant. The question is this: who should get to make the decision? You, me, the NCAA, the university, or the individuals themselves?
They can sell whatever they want. If they want to play for an NCAA governed school they follow the rules designed to protect amateur athletics. Nobody is forced to do anything. There are no victims. There is no problem that the left once again needs the government to "fix".

Back
Top Bottom