• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Near miss......

TBurnham

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
41   0
Reaction score
I went to the range and shot the 500 again. I had loaded a few rounds and was testing the receipe to see if I liked it or not. Everything went well, until I was ejecting the shell casings. I looked and two of the five had split the cases. Looking at my other cases that had not split there was a "scratch", I think would be the best way to describe it. I looked at the other live rounds I had with me and they all had the "scratch" on them. Coming home and checking my dies, I find that the die itself had broken right at the tip and this was allowing it to "scrathch" the cases. I am assuming that it was enough that it weaken the case and allowed it to rupture during firing.
I have alway inspected my brass before loading, even the new stuff I will look it over. I have not ever thought to check it after loading, although I do of course check the seating and such, just not look at the brass. This could have gone wrong soooo many ways, but I think it is a testament of how well built the 500 is.
You can bet your bottom dollar fromnow on I will be looking my ammo over from top to bottom before and AFTER loading. Ill try and get pics up of the two pieces of brass that did rupture. Needless to say I have sent Lee a email about the die in question as it is a new set of dies.

if I aint mistaken the 500's are tested way beyond the pressures that are normal to hot for them anyway .................so you was prolly OK ....

but to dern bad ye rurnt your brass T ;(

When you installed the die, did you bottom the die out on the shellholder then backoff 1/8 turn? Carbide dies are super hard and can be damaged if you adjust them the same as a steel die.

Last edited:
Yeah, this wasnt the first time I had used it. I have used it several times before with no ill effects. Not sure what the heck could have happened. It would of had to of been a factory defect.

Back
Top Bottom