• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need 411 on St. Louis Ribs

LOL. JK. I cook at 225 for about 4-5 hours, longer for the Fred Flintstone St. Louis ribs. Allow smoke on the ribs for about 2 hours then foil wrap until finished. Glaze with a high sugar content sauce 10-15 minutes unwrapped before removing the ribs from heat to get that surface crunchy goodness.

Are they true St Louis trimmed spare ribs or full rack of spare ribs? Apple cider brine for a couple hours. Pat dry and rub your favorite rub and wrap in plastic wrap and leave in fridge overnight. Put a few hours of smoke on them at 225 spritzing with apple cider every now and then. For the last couple hours sprinkle brown sugar over the top and add a few pats of butter and apple cider and wrap in foil. You can unwrap and glaze some sauce at the end if you want. Most important thing is make them how YOU like them!

Here's the 411.

"St. Louis Ribs" were developed by the restaurant trade. The purpose is to provide a uniform portion (10 ribs) with a uniform size, which equates to to uniform cooking times. Restaurants want to know that if they slap some ribs on at 8 a.m., they will be ready at 12 noon sharp. Spares don't cook that consistently.

To a certain extent, they are a marketing device, that restaurants can use to make customers think they are getting something special. "What's left of a full rack of spares" just doesn't roll off the tongue the same way.

There is nothing unique about St. Louis ribs, say as compared to baby back ribs. They are cut down spare ribs. Given the price differential, you can be better off financially to buy spares, and cut them down yourself.

There's nothing wrong or bad about St. Louis ribs, I use them myself for a group of people. Anything you do to spares, you can do to St. Louise ribs. They will cook faster. Just be aware that it is the same rib, and the same meat as a spare.

If you have a real meat purveyor, you can order "3 and down" spares, which are about the size and tenderness of baby backs, but a lot cheaper. This is a standard order size for a lot of restaurants. Again the primary caution about "3 and down" is that they cook a lot quicker.

Well how did the ribs turn out ? Your post inspired me so I cooked a rack and some wings they were outstanding.
Ha same here I was inspired reading this and smoked some baby backs today. Made some collards and beans to go with it. Pulling the ribs in 5 min after the last hour after unwrapping then rest for 15-20 and eat.

Back
Top Bottom