• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need a bullet puller. Can anyone recommend one?

draftpick

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
203   1
Reaction score
Guys need a good 30 cal rifle bullet puller. Will be a press mounted, no hammer/ inertia type puller. Can anyone recommend one, or ones to stay away from?

I don't have a press mounted puller, but you're definitely right about the inertia pullers... You have to beat the ever loving hell out of a light .22 caliber bullet to get it out. .30s are quite as bad, but still work.

I have both the inertia type and an RCBS bullet puller that is screwed in just like any other die. Here is a link to that one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/680804/rcbs-collet-bullet-puller

This one at Midway is about $20 but then you will need to buy the collets that go with it. They are about $12 for each caliber so if you decide to do more than the .308, you are going to have a few bucks in it. If I only have a couple of bullets to pull then I use the "hammer type" puller. Let me tell you an easier way to use it, you still have to hammer the crap out of it, but if you will use your shell holder instead of that little three piece collet, then it will be easier to put in or take out the piece of brass.

I would second the RCBS press mounted puller. It's still a PITA though.

Couple of thoughts: I found another "collet" that was stepped on the inside. It's for some other RCBS product, but I do not remember what. It works on virtually every cartridge size, but does damage the bullet a bit.

There's a plier-type puller that you use with a press. Pull out any die, run the cartridge all the way up where the bullet is sticking through the top of the press, then grab the bullet with this device and pull the handle back down. A friend bought one of these for pistol rounds, and I cannot make it work with my loads. The bullets slip out. Might work with some cartridge, but it didn't do what I needed. I would recommend against this device.

I have a Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller that works great on pulling rifle projectiles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0SdqwbXUjI

Collets run about $12 per caliber.

If you were closer, I'd loan you mine; all you would have to buy would be your own collet!

Earl Clark - Cumming, GA

Thanks for the offer but I got a lot of bullets to pull. Starting to reload for my Finnish m39's. I have looked at the hornady cam lock and it's seems pretty easy and efficient.

Back
Top Bottom