• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need a little help with a reloading problem, guys

drjterrell

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
93   0
Reaction score
OK, so I'm new to this. I've shot a couple of hundred .45 rounds that I've rolled myself. :) Those were 230 grain round nose bullets in starline brass (along with some once fired brass), using Accurate No. 5 powder at 7.9 grains. Everything has worked great,except for one round that wouldn't allow the slide to close--I'm assuming it was too long.

So here's my struggle. I'm now trying to load 200 grain round nose bullets, but I can't figure out the proper length. I've looked in both Lyman and Hornady guides but don't see a 200 grain RN bullet to check the appropriate COL. When I try to make them look like a JHP in 200, they look too short. And they ARE shorter than the 230 RN's I was using. (That doesn't make sense to me either--seems like all .45's should be pretty close to the same length in order to function properly.)

So, please help a newbie out here. What am I doing wrong?

Jeff

45200gn.JPG

That help any? It's from Speers.

Jeff, I am at work so I can't look at any manuals right now. But, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. The 200 grain round nose bullet is going to be a bit shorter than a 230 grain bullet, they can't take away from the diameter of the bullet for that 30 grains so it comes out of the length. If the the OAL is only a few thousands of an inch shorter than the 230 grain, that is OK.

Are they cast bullets? If they fit the magazine well, I doubt it's the length? It's more likely a tight chamber and a .452 bullet. You may be over crimping them too. When you perform the case mouth expansion, don't over do it. Open the mouth just enough for the bullet to start in. When crimping, simply straighten the case back out.

The ACP headspaces off the case mouth, so a deformed case will cause failure to go to full battery. Many beginners over expand the case mouth, then try to overcome it with crimping. Post a pic, and measure the case near it's mouth and just below.

I've seen many folks do it. It takes practice. After a while, you'll learn the feel of a properly fitted bullet.

Thanks guys. These are copper jacketed RN at 200 grain. I think you're right about the overexpansion, Chuckdog.

I'm clearly still learning! (I didn't know you could use either .451 or .452 bullets...) One last question: the COL is based on both the type (jacketed RN) and weight of the projectile, right? So I couldn't use a COL from a match projectile with the same grain projectile in copper jacketed HP?

I very much appreciate all the help.

There are so many variables in bullet shape and design that I can't really answer your last question. Generally speaking, on the .45 using 200+ grain bullets, I make sure the bullet is seated deep enough for reliable feed from the magazine. I then confirm the slide goes into full battery with ease.

Yea, they definitely don't look too long. They appear too short to suit me. It's likely the case being deformed a bit. Just back off a little on the case mouth expansion, and only bring the case back straight when seating and crimping. Get you some regular brass cases too. Those nickeled ones are nice and shiny, but more of a headache than they're worth.

Back
Top Bottom