• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need a reloader?

Yeah I've been saving it and picking up brass people leave behind for a while, I've got easily 500rds of .45 brass and 1000 rds of .223 and another 1000 rds of 5.56.
I figured worst case scenario if I don't reload I can sell the brass and get some money back to buy a couple boxes of ammo.

You can do what I'm doing... save my brass until I decide to reload, or decide reloading isn't for me. I've got a couple 5 gallon buckets full of 380, 9, 45, 5.56, 30-06

Very good Idea and if you decide not to people will buy your brass, not down side except bucket of brass sitting around the the wife keeps asking about

Personally, I believe that the best advice you got was to work with your buddy and (FIRST) read a couple of books on reloading, (SECOND) to find someone experienced nearby to mentor you on reloading, (THIRD) perhaps share in the cost of a decent reloading set-up and materials (FOURTH) start reloading your own. You may actually find that working together to be a great experience in developing a skillful and useful hobby that you can enjoy the rest of your life.

Better yet, use your buddies gear and learn to reload with him!

Yup...A couple of friends and I split all of the reloading supplies and just got together and started making rounds several years back. It helps to have more than one set of eyes on problems at first and you can't beat being able to split HazMat shipping charges with others.

.45 is very easy to load, but you still have to pay attention to the basics just like any other cartridge. There is a good payoff to making your own pistol rounds, but rifle rounds don't always have that kind of reward. For one, rifle takes more work. Another, the components can't be found as cheap in general. I buy decent rifle rounds, shoot them and re-load my own once fired.

If you're going to use your buddies gear I'd still recommend getting your own dies. One of the advantages to reloading is you can craft the rounds to match YOUR chambers. You don't want to mess with the way he has his dies set up. Plus, you don't want to stick a case in his dies and you don't want to be out of commission because he forgot to lube his brass and stuck a case.

Back
Top Bottom