• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need advice for an optic

Sheepdawg719

Default rank <750 posts
In the field, In the fight!
73   1
Reaction score
Just picked up a used savage .243 with the accu-trigger and looking to it a scope on it. It has iron sight but I wanted to go ahead and mount a scope, just not sure what kind to go with. I don't need an expensive one just a good one that will do the job 200yards and in.

IMHO the Nikon is a good buy. A lot of scope for the money. 3X9 should handle any situation you come across. Get a good mount and rings and mount it properly. You will not be sorry.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly 3-9x50 that would look good on it. Great scope. $150 DSC00550.jpg

Burris E1s are fantastic for the $$ or if you want to go a little cheaper there are some great deals on the Burris Fulfield 2s right now. Rebates of $50 on a 3-9x40 and $100 on a 4.5-14x42. I have all of the above mentioned scopes and in my opinion they are the best thing going for the money.

Last edited:
IMHO the Nikon is a good buy. A lot of scope for the money. 3X9 should handle any situation you come across. Get a good mount and rings and mount it properly. You will not be sorry.

Yep. You won't beat Nikon for the money, and 9x is plenty for 200 yards. Don't use see through rings. Mount it as close to the barrel as you can without touching it. Also, use steel rings not aluminum. You may need to pop the rear sight off.

Just picked up a used savage .243 with the accu-trigger and looking to it a scope on it. It has iron sight but I wanted to go ahead and mount a scope, just not sure what kind to go with. I don't need an expensive one just a good one that will do the job 200yards and in.
Define 'expensive'.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly 3-9x50 that would look good on it. Great scope. $150
That's a good deal...

Burris E1s are fantastic for the $$ or if you want to go a little cheaper there are some great deals on the Burris Fulfield 2s right now. $50 on a 3-9x40 and $100 on a 4.5-14x42. I have all of the above mentioned scopes and in my opinion they are the best thing going for the money.
OK, I'll take the 4.5-14 for $100, actually I'll take the 3x9 for $50 too. ;)

I just picked up a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 bdc and I like it a lot! Clean glass and I really like the reticle. Got it at Walmart because they price match Amazon now for $133.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom