• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need advice from you bass pros

hnuckle

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I have a small pond that was stocked 7 or so years ago with bass, bream, catfish and carp. I also transplanted 50 or so bass (1 to 3lbs) that I caught. It has dropped pretty low a couple of times and I'm not sure if any bass and bream made it. I know the cats are still in there. It flooded earlier this year with all the rain and washed out a lot of fish. I threw back the(what looked like small bass) that were still alive. Needless to say I have a hard time with water levels. All that to say, I have been trying to catch some bass, and I thought I was a pretty decent pond bass fisherman. But I can't even get a bite. I've tried most everything I use for other ponds and nothing. Any suggestions. I really just want to find out if their are any bass in there.

Right now is a tough time honestly. My lake, they're bedding so I'm not catching many either. Look for some bare areas viable from shore, usually near a downed tree or log.

It's hard to advise how to fish not knowing the size or structure of you're pond.

If it's a shallow pond they have probably already spawned, water heats up earlier and they will spawn faster than fish in a large body of water. Get a 3/0 wide gap hook with a 1/16oz weight and a Zoom green pumpkin trick worm. If there are bass there you should be able to catch a few.

Green pumpkin trick worm is usually the first thing I throw out, not with weight may try that. The pond is fairly shallow and its only an acre in size. Not much cover other than a couple of christmas trees I've put in there. I would think they have already spawned, but have not been to spot any beds. I figure with as many casts as I've made that I would at least get a reaction bite. One thing I haven't tried that crossed my mind is a suspending jerkbait, but I just don't see it being any better than other stuff.

I would also try a pumpkin centepede rigged wacky worm with a blood red hook. You should have something on the line with any of these variations. If not, I'm afraid to say the other answer might not be the one your looking for....

Back
Top Bottom