• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Fresh Milk

Holy ****balls!!
I'd call them and make sure not to order it off their site. Last I remember their milk was about regular high priced milk price and not $40 a gallon like on the site.
I brought home a couple gallons and I'm not one to buy a $40 gallon of milk, or even a $10 gallon of milk. I'm more of a <$5 a gallon kind of guy

How much is a gallon of milk now? I haven't personally bought milk in a long time. **** better not be anywhere close to $40 a gallon, my kids will just drink Flavor Aid (Ghetto cool aid)
Hey B-
Milk is about $3 - $4 a gallon now, give or take. That is the commercial milk….Atlanta Dairies, Mathis, etc….
I could not imagine anything worth $40/gal ….. except for good bourbon :becky:
We used to split some beef with my FIL when he was alive. He knew someone that raised beef cattle and sold it to a select few folks. Really good stuff for cheaper than grocery store prices. The kicker was you had to buy a bunch (side or half side). So he would split it with us an another person.
I never found out/asked him where and who the guy was…..i should have. He passed away and now i am clueless on who it was. :(
I will find another source, one day, lol. :)

Hey B-
Milk is about $3 - $4 a gallon now, give or take. That is the commercial milk….Atlanta Dairies, Mathis, etc….
We used to split some beef with my FIL when he was alive. He knew someone that raised beef cattle and sold it to a select few folks. Really good stuff for cheaper than grocery store prices. The kicker was you had to buy a bunch (side or half side). So he would split it with us an another person.
I never found out/asked him where and who the guy was…..i should have. He passed away and now i am clueless on who it was. :(
If you're drinking $40 a gallon bourbon and you like it, good for you. I'm not too good for much , but I steer clear of the $10 a liter bourbon.

If you're drinking $40 a gallon bourbon and you like it, good for you. I'm not too good for much , but I steer clear of the $10 a liter bourbon.
You are correct sir…. I had to think about that for a second… bourbon comes in the half gal anyway, mostly, lol. But yeah… like $40/liter is what i had in mind i think :laugh:

Your kids would go through 6-8 gallons a week ? Or am i not reading that right?
Is that how much they used or how much the cow would produce ?
they would go thru 6 to 8 gallons a week. Before we got a cow, we would stop at least every other day and get 2 gallons.

The cow we milked would give some where around 1 gallon to 1-1/4 gallons at a milking. So we were getting 2 to 2-1/2 gallons a day. She was a jersey, and in my opinion, Jerseys give the best tasting milk. Most farms raise Holsteins because they are a lot bigger cow, and they give a lot more milk.

About the only commercial dairies that use Jerseys anymore is Mayfield.

Hey B-

the problem with raising your own beef now is getting someone to process it for you. I had to call back in July to get a processing date in February at Blalock's outside of Clayton. That is 8 months out. I tried to get an appointment back in April to kill on in the fall, but they were so far behind they told me to call back in July for a date in 2022. I waited til after the 4th to call, and all of January and most of February was already taken

the problem with raising your own beef now is getting someone to process it for you. I had to call back in July to get a processing date in February at Blalock's outside of Clayton. That is 8 months out. I tried to get an appointment back in April to kill on in the fall, but they were so far behind they told me to call back in July for a date in 2022. I waited til after the 4th to call, and all of January and most of February was already taken
Yep….i could imagine. I was under the same impression several years ago when we started splitting meat with them, i think wait times were a few months out. (20yrs ago!! )
I wasnt sure who processed this…i never asked. It was my wife’s father…he said it was good so i never questioned it. I guess he could have been processing - i am not sure.
Now that he has passed….we don’t get that meat anymore.
It took me two years and about 4 load of beef before he would let me pay him….he always told me it was his daughter, his grandaughter and his son in law (me, lol) that it fed and i wasnt to argue ! Lol.
He was a badass sheriff deputy for Fulton….a big, intimidating man (with handcuffs) so i didnt argue !! Lol.
Eventually I talked him into taking a C note on each trip. Which was stupidly inexpensive for what we got.
That man was something else, i miss him . :)

Yep….i could imagine. I was under the same impression several years ago when we started splitting meat with them, i think wait times were a few months out. (20yrs ago!! )
I wasnt sure who processed this…i never asked. It was my wife’s father…he said it was good so i never questioned it. I guess he could have been processing - i am not sure.
Now that he has passed….we don’t get that meat anymore.
It took me two years and about 4 load of beef before he would let me pay him….he always told me it was his daughter, his grandaughter and his son in law (me, lol) that it fed and i wasnt to argue ! Lol.
He was a badass sheriff deputy for Fulton….a big, intimidating man (with handcuffs) so i didnt argue !! Lol.
Eventually I talked him into taking a C note on each trip. Which was stupidly inexpensive for what we got.
That man was something else, i miss him . :)
He musta been a really big man to intimidate you, I've met you and you're no dwarf...

He musta been a really big man to intimidate you, I've met you and you're no dwarf...
Bwahaha !! Yessir, he was a big guy….like 6’8 !
One of the few men i ever had to actually look up to. Had huge meat hook hands , lol. When you shook his hand it would make you think “This guy could easily crush my hand“ . Lol.
My wife told me she she always felt safe in his arms as a child, teen and young lady.
I guess that was kind of what made him a good sheriff deputy.
The sheer intimidation of just standing next to him -
He told me he went to work at the Fulton Co. Sheriff’s at the time when they werent even issued uniforms or cars , they used their own and were given allowances to cover them. He said they gave him a gun, badge, cuffs and a handfull of warrants !! Lol.
He said there were deputies that did not have cars, they would make arrests and bring them in either on a bus or cab or they could call in and request transport and they would send a car out ! Could you imagine that ! LMAO !

Back
Top Bottom