• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need Gunshow Advice Please

I haven't been in 6 or 8 years after seeing ridiculous prices. Gun shows prey on the uninformed and internet ignorant.

I think primarily that is because of Eastman's sleazy practices...of eliminating dealers that sell at range he deems "too low" when he in fact he is part owner of one of the dealers himself. It is a total conflict of interest and likely a violation or numerous laws...

Last edited:
Thier is a show at jonesboro rd and 285 at expo center this weekend. Not sure if it's the one your talking about but it's usually a decent show and i've found several good deals at this show before. You just kinda have to know what the prices are at stores and on the odt before hand or you can get riped off

I do not go anymore since I have found this site and 2 others, sales are easier, guys are nicer and more honest, deals are better, and you do not have to leave your house to shop!

It is a good show to attend if you don't know what you are looking for, but if you know what you want I wouldn't bother. As far as the shows in the metro area, it typically has the most vendors so you will have a good chance on getting your hands on a lot of different guns to see what fits the bill. Short of maybe Cherokee Pawn and sometimes Mainstreet or On the Square or whatever they are called (and it depends on the gun), most tables are generally overpriced. There are usually a decent number of private sale tables there and sometimes you will find a steal and sometimes the guys think their Glocks are worth their weight in gold. I go because I enjoy looking around and usually catch a good deal on something. If I don't, at least I got to spend a few uninterrupted hours walking around looking at guns. :)

I'll be at the show this weekend at Jonesboro Rd. It's like buying a ticket to the movies or something like that. I can see and handle lots of guns and find decent prices on loading supplies ( sometimes). It's entertaiment for me. Last time I was at the show at Jboro Rd there were 2 guys trying to get in and acting very suspicous ( like they were carrying but didn't want to check their guns at the door) . A cop at the door wanted to talk to them and they bolted. They took off across the parking lot with Johnny law in hot pursuit. Pretty wild to watch. I won't go to Gunrunners or Eastmans any more. I wish I knew what happened to the RK show at the Lawrencville Fairgrounds. It wasn't that big but there were 2 guys that sold powder, primers, & bullets at fair prices. They haven't had any shows at that venue for a good while now.

If Cherokee Pawn is there they may have a couple deals. Other than that, I would only go if I needed accessories or ammo from TN ammo guys.

repeat - The folks walking around have the better deals.

As posted previously.Gun shows are a good place to put your hands on a gun your interested in ( with exception to e-man ). Besides it's something to do while the wife goes into house cleaning mode. And we all know what can happen if you stick around to long when that's going on. Don't act like you don't know what I'm taking about either.

Gun shows are great place to congregate, talk guns with familiar faces and meet new gun nuts. It also allows you to monkey paw the goods if you are thinking about a purchase but can't find it in your local store. The listed price is a starting point and often you can get the gun for less if you ask nicely. This show this weekend has no history of any price fixing that I'm aware of. Most of the prices are too high but a few dealers do offer good prices. Last fall Cherokee had Rock Island 1911's for under $400 NIB and ODT had guys selling them used for $425-450. When I see a great deal now, I'll post it on the ODT for my fellow gun nuts. I have seen great deals from individuals selling their own personal guns at shows too.

Two years ago I picked up a Kimber SS target II NIB from an individual at a gun show for $650. I knew him but he was trying to sell it for that to all comers. One interested guy wanted him to come down to $600 and he wouldn't budge. It was a $900 gun. It is one of my most accurate pistols that I own.

Pawn stores are for the most part a rip-off and will take advantage of the weak/uninformed. But there are some really great ones and my best personal favorite gun store is Ed's Pawn in Stockbridge. The staff is top notch and will help a Nob make a good purchase that was thought out on requirements, needs and experience level of the buyer. They are currently the number 2 largest dealer in the Nation for Glock. Lee Ermey "The Gunny" comes once a year and does a meet and greet at Ed's. Once a year Ed's has an end of year blow out sale. Two years ago they were selling a bunch of police trade in Glock's for $250. Last year I picked up my first HK pistol there. It was an HK Expert nearly new in the box with two mags for $650. Other dealers come to the sale to buy and then re-sell in their own stores! In my opinion that's not bad for a "pawn store".

I'll be there today looking around and say hello to Bryan. He stated he would be there at a table with an ODT sign.

Back
Top Bottom