• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need gunsmith to remove squib from Wilson Combat 1911 barrel

Bob Sims with Bobs Custom Guns in Palmetto/Tyrone. Good 1911 smith. Bit of a drive but worth it? Call first to make certain he is there. Tue-Sat if I recall.
I would think if you do it yourself it would be easier to tap from muzzle to chamber. It already traveled through that area and not cutting through new territory. Maybe less resistance. Best of luck that's a nice pistol.

Haven’t seen Bob in years, he still around and working?

How are you with a drill?
1/8” drill bit, graduate higher. The point is to relieve pressure and make it easier to punch out.
The key words are relieves internal stresses. If you are going to do this. First choice would be a lathe. Second choice would be a drill press and verify level/perpendicular.

I have an aluminum rod with a couple wraps of electrical tape that fits nicely in the barrel. Ok to use it instead of the brass rod??

It might work. There are widely different aluminum alloys; some would work great, and some not at all.

Keep checking the rod for bending. At the first sight of bending, stop using it. If it bends too much, you could get it stuck in the barrel, too.

Back
Top Bottom