• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

need knife advice

Also, my Mora and sheath go in the dishwasher after every trip.
Just file a flat spot on the spine to get good sparks from your firesteel.

But if you want heavier duty, like a full tang, here are some alternatives:

CONDOR:
Bushlore
Nessmuk
Hivernant

COLD STEEL:
Canadian Belt
Peace Maker III
Pendleton Lit Hunter or Mini Hunter

CAMILLUS:
Les Stroud SK Arctic Survival

GERBER (Don't be hatin' now):
BG Compact Fixed Blade
BG Ultimate Knife (just rub the orange off!)
Moment
Freeman

I looked at the moras but they just doont seem sturdy enough. I know for the price they cant be beat and Ill probably pick up a couple to keep in bags and my truck.

I dont care about ugly as long as its functional.

I looked at the moras but they just doont seem sturdy enough. I know for the price they cant be beat and Ill probably pick up a couple to keep in bags and my truck.

The Mora Companion is the one to try. Their other products are useful, but the companion has the thickest blade at just a shade under 1/8".

In general it is tough to buy a truly solid knife at that price point. The type of steel used ends up being the biggest factor of both toughness and cost. Its the reason why the Bear Grylls stuff looks beefy but will bend or snap under any real pressure. It's also why the genuinely tough knives start at at closer to the $100 price point.

I think the ontario knife mentioned in the first reply is your best bet. It's made of a decent steel and has a thick blade. I think it also includes a small sharpening stone for cleaning up the edge while in the woods.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom