• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need opinions

I bought one of those under 300 dollar 12 gauge shotguns for like 250 from cheaper than dirt for my mother. Well she moved to a assisted living facility and gave it to me. I shot it a ton and never had a hick up. The gun functioned like it was suppose to and had a smooth action. Now the plunger did stick a bit at first but after I loaded it a couple of times and lubed it up it worked perfectly after that. Had ghost ring sights a sling and was overall a decent gun. I ended up selling it to fund an AR build. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I needed a good truck gun or just something to sit in the corner forever. I am actually looking for a Mossberg with pistol grip stock and ghost ring sight now. Just want to upgrade now that I don't have a tactical gun. They are in the 500 dollar range but that's not a lot for a good gun. It's either that or a 930 semi-auto tactical.

Not a fan of the Maverick 88 or the Mossberg 500. The Mossberg 590 and 590A1 are both excellent, however.

I see more problems with the Mossberg 500 in my classes than anything else. The Maverick 88 is basically a Mexican-made Mossberg 500 with 1 action bar instead of 2.

Reduced/managed recoil 12ga ammo has less recoil than standard loads, but still has plenty of power for use as a defense load......that's exactly what it's designed for. Most LE agencies use reduced recoil loads in their pump action shotguns and it's what I use in all of mine.

Reduced recoil 12ga ammo has recoil similar to a full-load 20ga, but holds much more shot (or a larger slug).

In terms of reliability, pump vs semi-auto, here's the conclusion I've come to from 20+ years of teaching defensive shotgun course; most malfunctions with pump actions are due to user error, while most malfunctions with semi-autos are due to ammo.
Good advice. And someone here, not saying who, may or may not be selling a lot of reduced recoil Ranger 12 gauge ammo at crazy prices
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-blowout-sale-winchester-ranger.1395893/

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Go to somewhere like Ed's Public Safety in Stockbridge and pick up a used LE trade-in Remington Police 870.

Are there any places north of Atl that sells these?

This. A few years back at Ed's I picked up 3 department trade-in Police Magnum 870's for under the asking price of 299 each because I bought more than 1.
They were non-lethal dedicated guns and had the stocks painted red :( and had some kind of plastic residue in the barrels (I assumed from whatever non-lethal round they shot through them) that ruined a bore brush but came out completely.

This. A few years back at Ed's I picked up 3 department trade-in Police Magnum 870's for under the asking price of 299 each because I bought more than 1.
They were non-lethal dedicated guns and had the stocks painted red :( and had some kind of plastic residue in the barrels (I assumed from whatever non-lethal round they shot through them) that ruined a bore brush but came out completely.

I used to have a buddy that worked there. I bought 3 Police 870's for $175 each!

Back
Top Bottom