• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

need some advice on a 1911.

flhx

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
hey fellas im looking to buy a springfield 1911 loaded black and stainless from a buddy. upon inspection of the pistol the slide had alot of the finish worn off "the black", and couldnt find much about what it is and if it can either be reapplied or just polished off to just show the stainless. its a good deal but i dont want to have to put hundreds of dollars into getting it back up to "like new" condition . no it will not be my ccw so i want it to look as good as it can.. thanks guys for any help.. oh btw would this something Springfield would take care of under its warranty possibly?

It is a parkerized finish. Shouldn't cost too much to have it re-parkerized. I doubt Springfield will cover it under warranty but it never hurts to ask them.

would that be something a gun smith would do or some one with the skills in finishes ? and when i pointed it out to him he came down $50 on price , would that even come close to a refinish job? thanks 01sporttj.

Parkerizing is fairly easy to do. If you are going to get it refinished and want something that's going to look good and hold up I would recommend Cerakote. I have a G19 that I had the slide Cerakoted and it has held up great to all the abuse I have put it through with just a bit of holster wear starting to show after 2 years.

Get rid of it, lmao and go Glock, M&P OR Sig....:rolleyes:

lol thanks for the input but if i was looking for a edc gun i would . "thats what my xdm is for" but something about this one just calls to me, now its like a beat up whore , but with a lil makeup and a new set of clothes it would be a dime piece lol...and the price is right,, so if its something not to hard to take on then ill jump on it and have a "nice looking" weapon. ps i haven't bought it yet the finished kinda put me off..

Parkerizing is fairly easy to do. If you are going to get it refinished and want something that's going to look good and hold up I would recommend Cerakote. I have a G19 that I had the slide Cerakoted and it has held up great to all the abuse I have put it through with just a bit of holster wear starting to show after 2 years.

well i would love to go back factory look. thats the appealing part to me with the black and stainless , but can you just do the non smooth parts black and not the whole slide?

- - - Updated - - -

If it's black and stainless then it's not parkerized. Are you talking about the one where the flats are polished and the rest is black?

yes sir thats the one.

If it's like this one then it may cost a good amount to refinish it. I would just polish it or give it a matte finish by glass beading it.
i39.photobucket.com_albums_e191_wikdstang00_springer_zpsa77ed8f2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom