• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some advice!

Gremlin

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
38   0
Reaction score
I know that is a dangerous proposition on ODT, but I have a couple of questions. I think they have been answered in a different thread, but I can’t find it. Long story short, my father passed today. He died a poor Air Force veteran and had none of his affairs in order.

1) Are there any end of life benefits from the VA? He is known to them, but we’ve been dealing with medical side and haven’t gotten though since he passed.

2) Is there any assistance for coffin/vault? There is a family plot that was given to him, only reason I’m considering burial and not cremation.

3) Is there any chance of a military send off? I think the family would appreciate the gesture. Maybe from a nonprofit?

It’s probably too late to find these services, but that’s why I’m here, you never have enough time! Prayers are appreciated, but let’s keep this thread to info only. Maybe we can make this a funeral information thread.

Thanks for any help! I know there are some pretty knowledgeable folks here. Reply here or feel free to pm me. I’m gonna slam a couple of beers and go to bed. Will update in a couple of days

Sorry for your loss.

My father was a veteran of WWII and my mother received a VA benefit toward the burial of my father.
The VA also provided a small marker which indicates his legal name, rank, branch of the military, birth date and date of death.

Sorry for your loss. When my grandfather passed, WWll vet, he got a vault for him and his wife, the military funeral with bag pipe, 12 gun and when my mom is ready they will spread his ashes in the sea in VA where he was stationed in the Navy.

You will need proof that he was in then military. Find his discharge papers. If you can't find it you will need to file a DD-214. It takes forever to get a reply un less you write on the top that it is an emergency for burial in a VA cemetery. The funeral home should offer some assistance.

Sorry to hear that......

Thanks all! It was the legion I was thinking of. I’ve got his dd214. Going to funeral home in the morning, just trying to line my ducks.

My father was a veteran of WWII and my mother received a VA benefit toward the burial of my father.
The VA also provided a small marker which indicates his legal name, rank, branch of the military, birth date and date of death.
Thanks, good info, but wtf. First few lines made me throw up a little.

• You’re the Veteran’s surviving spouse (Note: We recognize same-sex marriages.), or
  • You’re the surviving partner from a legal union (a relationship made formal in a document issued by the state recognizing the union), or

Back
Top Bottom