• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some advise on selling M1D

Bad time to sell, as others have mentioned. ARs going for half what they did 1 year ago, and that has dragged down a lot of the milsurp market with it.

List the provenance and documents you have, show readable copies in your ads. It does look like a Sarco Special, and you do not have a "name"in the Garand community, so you have challenges on several fronts.

If you can wait, hold onto it.

This one is an original M1D purchased from the CMP. What makes it look "refurbed" is the stock was replaced at an Armory at some point and the cheek pad and flash hider are after market. I purchased from the CMP for $1705.00 and paid $375.00 for the scope and mount. I'm throwing the cheek pad and flash hider for free and asking less than paid. Thanks for the input. I'm thinking about stripping it down and selling for $1600.00.

The explanation you just made with the list of what it is and why is exactly what you need. Also maybe add a pic or 2 with the reciever removed from the stock and pics of the guts so it doesn't look new.

Generally speaking a used scope on a used rifle adds about zero value, unless it's a really high dollar scope.

May be different for C&R but I doubt it.

I've got my own little collection of Nikon scopes from rifles I've sold for the w/o the scope, for the same money as w/ the scope. I took the scope off and kept it as a matter of principal.

Given the unique nature of the item, there may be a bigger market for the mount and scope separate from the rifle.

The scope and mount are not "all original." They may have been sold through the CMP (which is now a private corporation, not an official branch of the U.S. military like the DCM was), but the scope and mount are modern replicas or reproduction.

So for a collector, I don't know how that plays out. It's just like an original, but it's not.

The bottom line may be that people who want M1 Garands want them all original, using actual G.I. surplus parts.

As for myself, I'm not in the market for such a rifle because of the technical features of the scope. Only 2.5X magnification. 7/8" tube. If I'm going to shoot a scoped .30-06 rifle at small targets several hundred yards away, I'd like at least a 4X scope with a 1" body and at least a 32mm front lens.

Price it right for the current economic conditions (full monetary collapse in progress-just has'nt reached the avalanche phase) and it will sell. "Collectables" have always traded on the "greater fool" theory. I have been in the same boat: there was a greater fool than myself out there, just had to find him.

That stock is a total turnoff for someone looking for a collectible Garand. From across the room it is obvious it is a copy, not an original. As mentioned, CMP is not US Gov't. When you are trying to sell to the collector market, originality trumps pretty every time.

Just looked at your ad again. The non-white chamber is hurting it also.

For collectors, you have to provide a completed inventory of parts, all properly identified.

https://www.thegca.org/pdfs/m1_dataSheet_fillable_and_instructions.pdf

This is the standard sheet they are looking for. It takes time and research to properly do one of these. But it clearly describes the gun when complete.

BTW, your high bid looks right for the way it is depicted.

And, free shipping is always a plus, even on a high dollar item. Pics of the actual barrel gauges and readings are important, as well.

Back
Top Bottom