• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some info on deciding first handgun purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to a range, rent some guns, choot'em clint choot'em! Then decide which weapon system you like best. Finding the right handgun is like shopping for a vehicle. You wouldn't by a vehicle with test driving it, you shouldn't buy a handgun without choot'em'in first. Same rules apply with your wife, you will probably discover you guys like two different brands. Buy the one you choot best. Also, choot different calibers to find which you are most comfortable with. .45acp might be too much for your wife... She might prefer 9mm. All things to think about. The weapons you listed in the OP are all great choices.

If you're going (or thinking of going) Pre-Service at an Academy, I'd honestly steer you away from the .45 for ONE reason: ammo price. You're going to have to furnish your own ammo, and 9mm is easier to swallow than 45.

As a Beretta shooter, you'll transition well into any autopistol. You'll find the Glock or 1911 easier to shoot, and you'll find the Glock or M/P easier to operate.

If you live in Newnan, and you get hired by Coweta, you have the bonus of them using 9mm in their service, so if you already own one, PRESTO, free ammo when you are hired. This is another reason I'd encourage you to go for a Glock; they use G17 / G19, so if you had one, then you'd also have instant Armorer support, should you need it.

If you are stuck on 45, I would encourage you to go with a doublestack. A 1911 will shoot better on the range, but if you have the choice of 13 rounds vs 8, why in the world wouldn't you go for the 13? I LOVE my Colt, but for me, it is a range baby, not a carry option. (I'm a capacity-whore. That's why I EDC a 5.7)

I won't even get into the ballistics debate. The fact is, you gotta hit what you aim at, and you gotta pay for your bullets, so go with what makes you the most comfortable.

So I have now decided I am wanting to buy the S&W M&P9 it feels great in the hands and will get what I need done in the academy. Now I just hope there's one available come when we get our taxes. Thanks everyone for all the great info.

Alright so I've decided so far that I'm leaning towards the S&W M&P and I've also decided that .45 probably isn't the best choice due to the fact that I will only have a short period to draw my handgun and put rounds into a target to qualify at the police academy and that is easier done with a 9mm. I have held a S&W M&P last week but it was a compact and I loved how it get in my hands. Now my question is what model and price lol. Pictures would be amazing if u are giving a specific model. Still no compacts but in a 9mm

The M&P series pistols are my favorite. I carry a M&P 9 compact everyday concealed and trust it! Glock's are great pistols but don't fit my hands comfortably. I say whatever feels best in YOUR hands will serve you well!

So I have now decided I am wanting to buy the S&W M&P9 it feels great in the hands and will get what I need done in the academy. Now I just hope there's one available come when we get our taxes. Thanks everyone for all the great info.

Buy and install the Apex DCAEK and RAM kits and you will absolutely love it!

So I just got off the phone with Atlanta Range & Ordnance in Newnan, GA and they are really cheap on prices for range time and rentals. The wife and I have gotten a babysitter for tomorrow and are going there for our date night. Definitely excited. I will update you guys on how it went. Excited to try out the S&W M&P9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom