• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Suggestions: Remington 870 Sight Upgrades

UptaCamp

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
Hey ODT,

I just picked up a late 80's Remington 870 Magnum and am hoping to get some insight on upgrading the sights on the 19.5" barrel. I was looking around at ghost ring sights but am not sure which might be the easiest swap. Any suggestions and recommendations are appreciated. Please check out the photos for reference. Thank you.

IMG_20200926_172342.jpg
IMG_20200926_172651.jpg
IMG_20200926_172702.jpg

Is your receiver factory drilled and tapped?

Easiest ghost ring setup would be to remove the movable part of the rear sight, and install a rear ghost ring sight. There are rear ghost rings that use the factory drilled and tapped holes, if they’re present.....if not, it’ll have to be drilled and tapped. There are rear ghost rings made by Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech, Vang Comp (includes a rail), Trijicon, and XS Sight Systems

If you want, you can replace the front sight insert with a tritium model from Trijicon.

Here’s an example of a front and rear sight upgrade I did on one of my 870’s that had the exact same sight setup that yours does. I’m happy to help you with any work you might need. https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/remington-870-police-wingmaster-battleworn-nib.2175801/

Is your receiver factory drilled and tapped?

Easiest ghost ring setup would be to remove the movable part of the rear sight, and install a rear ghost ring sight. There are rear ghost rings that use the factory drilled and tapped holes, if they’re present.....if not, it’ll have to be drilled and tapped. There are rear ghost rings made by Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech, Vang Comp (includes a rail), Trijicon, and XS Sight Systems

If you want, you can replace the front sight insert with a tritium model from Trijicon.

Here’s an example of a front and rear sight upgrade I did on one of my 870’s that had the exact same sight setup that yours does. I’m happy to help you with any work you might need. https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/remington-870-police-wingmaster-battleworn-nib.2175801/
My receiver is not drilled and tapped. The project that you linked turned out fantastic. I'll be sending you a PM to discuss. Thanks.

It almost looks like an old police model?
Well, when I was buying it, it was advertised as a police magnum, but the seller informed me during our meet that an ODT expert corrected him and that it was just a magnum. So, as far as I know it's just a magnum and that's all the receiver says as well. But I'm no expert.

Well, when I was buying it, it was advertised as a police magnum, but the seller informed me during our meet that an ODT expert corrected him and that it was just a magnum. So, as far as I know it's just a magnum and that's all the receiver says as well. But I'm no expert.

If it doesn't have the "police" then no police.

Back
Top Bottom