• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Needing dome help. 300win or 300prc?

Yes Hornady calls a ELD-X a hunting bullet. But you had better keep it off the shoulder bone or not need more than 16" - 18" of penetration. I'd sure hate to be in grizzly country elk hunting using any ELD-X bullet. A 300 win mag loaded to same pressure as a 300 PRC will easily out do the PRC. How many national championships have been won using the 300 PRC? The same number as the 6.5 cm and PRC. The short magnum craze has wore off and the PRC will follow.
My 280AI has harvested 3 antelope and 8 mule deer out west - 75 yards to 350 yards - last 6 years. 162ELDX. ELDX is an excellent hunting bullet - fragmentation up front and bonded base for deep penetration. Picture below is the bonded base recovered at the rear of an antelope harvested at 200 yards face on - fragmentation took out all the vitals and base broke spine and ended up under hide. one shot bang flop. Recovered during processing.

Killed a large bodied mule deer at 325 yards with "texas heart shot" - impact on back hip and bonded base recovered in chest hide up front - bonded base traveled the entire length of the mule deer.

Attachments

• IMG_2770.jpg
    IMG_2770.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2
probably not an appropriate post in this thread, but I have a really nice semi custom .300 win mag with a brux 28 inch sendero contour. It’s bedded and has trigger work. I think this rifle has potential to be a mile rifle.

Does anyone have any loads for 1000 + shooting? I guess we can tie this to the PRC bc you can do a factory PRC loading to a heavy, hand load .300 win mag.
Projectile will depend on barrel twist

Long Range Hunting forum has plenty of discussions on elk hunting, 300WM, 300PRS, etc.

I just bought a used Tikka 300WM barrel and the seller recommended 200 Accubonds specifcally at 2900 fps. He was moving to 300PRC.

In my case, I bought used 300WM barrel as "good enough" for my purposes (hunting). If I was buying new I would get 7PRC or 300PRC to take advantage of faster twist barrels.

I have a 3006 also and with latest projectiles and some newer powder choices (Winchester STABALL 65) and handloading - the 3006 is knocking on factory 300WM (can do more with 300WM reloading too).

Long Range Hunting forum has plenty of discussions on elk hunting, 300WM, 300PRS, etc.

I just bought a used Tikka 300WM barrel and the seller recommended 200 Accubonds specifcally at 2900 fps. He was moving to 300PRC.

In my case, I bought used 300WM barrel as "good enough" for my purposes (hunting). If I was buying new I would get 7PRC or 300PRC to take advantage of faster twist barrels.

I have a 3006 also and with latest projectiles and some newer powder choices (Winchester STABALL 65) and handloading - the 3006 is knocking on factory 300WM (can do more with 300WM reloading too).

Exactly.

You summed up the 300 PRC vs. WM argument perfectly.

The WM does things well- the PRC does WM things more efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My 280AI has harvested 3 antelope and 8 mule deer out west - 75 yards to 350 yards - last 6 years. 162ELDX. ELDX is an excellent hunting bullet - fragmentation up front and bonded base for deep penetration. Picture below is the bonded base recovered at the rear of an antelope harvested at 200 yards face on - fragmentation took out all the vitals and base broke spine and ended up under hide. one shot bang flop. Recovered during processing.

Killed a large bodied mule deer at 325 yards with "texas heart shot" - impact on back hip and bonded base recovered in chest hide up front - bonded base traveled the entire length of the mule deer.
I've never used a 162 ELD-X so have zero experience. I've killed a lot of deer using the 150 ELD-X in a 280ai and the results were OK. The 150gr ELD-X at 3150fps has the same failures as a 140gr ballistic tip when you get on to much bone, take hard angling shots or try to kill two deer with one shot. Do as you please, but I'd never trust a ELD-X bullet on a elk or bear hunt. Bullets matter more than caliber.
IMG_20230108_151245085_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom