• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Needing dome help. 300win or 300prc?

Match or ELD-X bullets are not ideal elk bullets. And it would be a crap shoot for a 10 twist factory rifle in 300win to shoot anything over 200gr as well as a 180gr. We are talking elk hunting, not target shooting. My choice for one of the best factory elk cartridges.View attachment 5299652
Eldx are hunting bullets. Eldm's are match.

Nobody is saying that 300 win mags won't work and do the job needed well. 300 prc does, unequivocally, outperform the win mag in ballistics, and really shines when you start to run heavier projectiles with higher bc's.

300 prc ammo is readily available at very similar prices.

Yes Hornady calls a ELD-X a hunting bullet. But you had better keep it off the shoulder bone or not need more than 16" - 18" of penetration. I'd sure hate to be in grizzly country elk hunting using any ELD-X bullet. A 300 win mag loaded to same pressure as a 300 PRC will easily out do the PRC. How many national championships have been won using the 300 PRC? The same number as the 6.5 cm and PRC. The short magnum craze has wore off and the PRC will follow.

Yes Hornady calls a ELD-X a hunting bullet. But you had better keep it off the shoulder bone or not need more than 16" - 18" of penetration. I'd sure hate to be in grizzly country elk hunting using any ELD-X bullet. A 300 win mag loaded to same pressure as a 300 PRC will easily out do the PRC. How many national championships have been won using the 300 PRC? The same number as the 6.5 cm and PRC. The short magnum craze has wore off and the PRC will follow.
I will not shoot another animal with an ELD-X bullet.

There are more than enough 30 cal hunting projectile options out there. It isn't limited to the eldx.

So far in this thread, you have argued everything except for ballistics between the two cartridges.

You kinda try with the whole "loaded to same pressure" thing, but in what way is the wm "easily outdoing" the 300 prc?

What national championships are you referencing? If wanting to look at 30 cal magnums, the 300 norma mag is owning competitions.

Only a 'tard compares a long action magnum cartridge to a short action cartridge and thinks it means anything or proving any sort of point.

The 300 prc is already wearing off a slight bit because we have the 300 norma mag. Smokes the the win mag, edges the prc, and adopted by the military. Win mag lives on in grandpappy's huntin rifle. That's a sweet 30-06+p ya got there. Lol

The OP was talking hunting rifles and he doesn't handload. The 300 win mag is the easy and logical answer to his question. Some people just like to make things harder than they need to be. I've heard the 300 PRC is easier to tune and not as picky as the 300 win can be. I've never heard that the PRC is more accurate than the 300 win. Normally the heavier the bullet the easier it is to get it to shoot.

Match or ELD-X bullets are not ideal elk bullets. And it would be a crap shoot for a 10 twist factory rifle in 300win to shoot anything over 200gr as well as a 180gr. We are talking elk hunting, not target shooting. My choice for one of the best factory elk cartridges.View attachment 5299652

You should tell that to the literally 1000s of elk that have died quickly from an ELDX.

Literally what Hornady designed it for.

A buddy of mine got a huge bull this past year with one himself.

$1200 rifle
$800 scope.
$300 worth of ammo to get comfortable with the gun & work up a dope chart.

Successful hunt & kill shot at 905 yards.

I’d say that’s exactly ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eldx are hunting bullets. Eldm's are match.

Nobody is saying that 300 win mags won't work and do the job needed well. 300 prc does, unequivocally, outperform the win mag in ballistics, and really shines when you start to run heavier projectiles with higher bc's.

300 prc ammo is readily available at very similar prices.

Exactly

How does a WM “out do” a PRC when there is less case capacity with a WM because of the shorter OAL & smaller internal diameter?

probably not an appropriate post in this thread, but I have a really nice semi custom .300 win mag with a brux 28 inch sendero contour. It’s bedded and has trigger work. I think this rifle has potential to be a mile rifle.

Does anyone have any loads for 1000 + shooting? I guess we can tie this to the PRC bc you can do a factory PRC loading to a heavy, hand load .300 win mag.

Back
Top Bottom