• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Needing dome help. 300win or 300prc?

Also took the liberty to check into ammo available for the 300 PRC. And I just clicked the first site that was up was midway and they had six or seven different offerings and all of them were out of stock except the match ammo that was 65 bucks a box. I'm sure there's other places out there that have ammo but it doesn't look good from my initial search.
I've seen the same in my searches. I think I'm going to go with the 300wm

I've never shot the PRC, but I like the ballistics. I have several 300wm, and I love the cartridge. As far as the fella claiming same ballistics as a .270, drugs are bad mmmkay. There are multiple offerings for the 300wm in 190gr to 210gr. All would be plenty sufficient for any North American game animal. I'd rush out and buy a 300prc if the ammo was more readily available or if I still reloaded.

The .300WinMag is one of the most underrated cartridges ever produced. That is, it’s underrated nowadays. Back in the day, folks well knew it’s worth. It’s been dropping game around the world since 1963.

With 215grn Berger handloads I’ve rung steel over and over at 2000yds with the .300WinMag. With the enormous selection of quality, accurate hunting bullets in .30 caliber, this easily translates into the ability to take game safely at distances within the capabilities of most hunters. Very rarely will you be undergunned with the .300WinMag, and never in North America.

It’s a perfect cartridge for a wide array of game out West, especially when taken at longer distances.

Skip the PRC, and go with the WinMag. Twitch2120 Twitch2120 covered the reasons succinctly.

I've never shot the PRC, but I like the ballistics. I have several 300wm, and I love the cartridge. As far as the fella claiming same ballistics as a .270, drugs are bad mmmkay. There are multiple offerings for the 300wm in 190gr to 210gr. All would be plenty sufficient for any North American game animal. I'd rush out and buy a 300prc if the ammo was more readily available or if I still reloaded.
If you compare the 270 130gr, 300 PRC 160 gr. And the 180gr. 300 win Mag. The drop speed is almost dead on to 500. Each projectile will more than kill at that range. Only when you go out past that does the win.mag come into it's own. For punching paper out to 1000 then both 300's would benefit. For hunting the 270 is just fine.

If you compare the 270 130gr, 300 PRC 160 gr. And the 300 win Mag. The drop speed is almost dead on to 500. Each projectile will more than kill at that range. Only when you go out past that does the win.mag come into it's own. For punching paper out to 1000 then both 300's would benefit. For hunting the 270 is just fine.
No one buys a 300 to shoot 160's.... And he said he intended to elk hunt. 130gr is not ideal.

Back
Top Bottom